cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Domestic Violence

@FootyFan26

oh just want to mentions. I have some experience at mental training and what not when I was practicing on improving my memory. Things like mental relaxation, or focusing is usually practiced a lot before you actually start using it. So when you are pretty calm, and wants to relax, it's best time to practice breathing relaxing or visualization, Maybe you are finding mental relaxation difficult to use might be cause you are trying to use it on the first go. Those things takes time to get use to, when you spend some practice them, it might actually work.

@lovin each day I might give this a go but my problem is keeping still and focusing on the task. As an example if you were to tell me not to move my hand within seconds I would have moved it. I just don't think I'm the type of person that can handle sitting still and trying to calm down at the same time. They're like Vegemite and tomato sauce - they just don't go together.

This advice could be great for others reading this though. A lot of people find it easier to sit still so it might help them.

Hey @FootyFan26 and @lovin each day

Loving the convo here, particularly on doing some meditation and mental training!

Since it looks like we're heading into a thread saga here, how about posting a new thread about relaxation in Everyday life stuff

From my point of understanding, these mental exercises revolves around "focus". That doesn't mean forcing your body to stay still, rather it trains your mind to gather the thoughts so when you think about something your mind doesn't do something like "soooo this math question is about the fraction of - WOOOOO BUTTERFLY!!!" 

Here are some simple practices you can do that would take less than 5 minutes a day. Lie down or sit comfortably in a quiet place, just breath smoothly. Pick something you adore, like a new drum set that you saw. Try picture it, not just the outline, but the details, the design, maybe even the texture, basically as close to the real thing as possible. Remember, do not force it. If it gets tiring, take a break. 

When i was researching it, the people who were profecient at this could actually taste the salt in the air when they are imagining the ocean! It's an amazing thing. Also, it allows you to branch yourself into other things as well. It ranges from keeping your mind sharp to actually giving yourself a confidence boost (when you can visualize yourself achieving something). 

But end goal here is for you to be able to visualize a fun place to escape to. My first experiment was creating a place where the sky was pink, the grass was blue, and donuts falls from the sky~~ hahaha 

But yeah, hope this helps a bit. 

@Myvo haha I am really just using my own experience. A quick guide for him to start something. If it gets into further detail then yes, will move to another section xD

@lovin each day Appreciating the efforts that you're putting into recent responses. We try to keep thread length under control (except for Games and Hanging Out, of course!), or otherwise it gets difficult for others to read later on Smiley Sad I think that it'll also benefit others if it's in its own thread, not just for one person. 

Thanks for the new thread @lovin each day I'll try it out tonight if I remember.

A great example of not being able to let go happened recently where we watched a movie about a single mother and her two kids.  I totally lost it and wouldn't talk about it.  Even though it was a sad movie it made me really angry and frustrated.  I just can't seem to drop these feelings about the stuff that has gone on at home and it has affected the work I do in class.

It's an important step that you are talking to us about it here. Be proud of that.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Well yeah, I kinda have to do it since there has been some recent suggestions of calls home and I want to improve so that doesn't happen.

Yr doing great and yr on the right path!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks @Sophie