cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Domestic Violence

Jay @j95 - wow thank you so much for sharing your story with us.... I'm humbled. It's so brave of you to reach out to footyfan like this and share your story....

When you talked about what you have been able to achieve with your life I got goosebumps, and whenever you are feeling low, I hope you can remember that you "have been able to achieve something with my life .... got a house of my own, got friends, play in a band, a full time apprenticeship, play footy both for local and in representative teams, and I'm working on my mental health issues! From a difficult start and 15 years of absolute hell, I'm leading a fulfilling life, its been a long time coming but I'm proud of my ability to fight."

Beautiful. Thanks Jay

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

That's the beauty of sites like this one, @Sophie-RO, its slightly less daunting to speak up and share something like that while staying anonymous. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Yeah @Sophie, @j95 is very brave to share his story and I really appreciate it. As he said I love this site because of it's anonymity and I can talk about a lot of stuff without anyone knowing and no one being able to hold it against me or spread rumors. I wish talking to people I know was this easy!

I found that your achievements were bloody amazing and it's great to see that you see that too. I think the hardest part for me is letting go of things. Things that happened recently and from a while ago still stick with me and I just don't know how to forget them.

You're not alone there @FootyFan26 - letting go can be really tough! It's so easy for people to say "get over it" but they never seem to tell you how to do that. One of the best things you can do for your own wellbeing is talk to a counsellor about your experiences and let them help you heal and move towards a life without fear and worry. Have you given any more thought to trying a web counselling service like 1800MYLINE?

I don't really like talking on the phone and haven't tried web chats before so I'm kinda hesitant about that.

There are people with worse problems like suicidal thoughts in queues for these anyway.

Hey @FootyFan26 , I just wanted to pop into the thread and say please don't discount your feelings of experiences but thinking that they're not as important because other people might have 'worse problems'. Your experiences and your feelings are just as important as mine, as everyones on these forms, as everyones who has ever contacted a service for help.  If you feel like these services might be useful for you, or even if you just want to have a go and see what it's like then I think you definitely should! The people who work there are dedicated to making sure everyone is given a voice so please don't feel like you're taking resources from others!

I can't help but think about others first and put my needs/wants aside @KitKat

@FootyFan26

It's good to care about others, but most of the time, it's built on the basis that you yourself is improving. If you are having trouble, the stress from worrying others will add to your own mental stress. What @KitKat said is right, problems and stresses weights differently depending on a person. My problems might seem easier to another but infinitely for me. That also applies to you. So do not downgrade your own problems, rather tackle it down like what they do in a Footy game! (huehuehue)

Lastly, I think if you manage to deal with yours stress and improve your mood, grade etc, it is even more beneficial for others when share your experiences to others who are lost on what do to do.

'How' is the question.

I'm just lost.

@FootyFan26

I can only speak this through experience. I didn't receive any guidence from my parents when I was your age. I actually didnt really realize a lot things until I was graduating high school and about to get into uni. If I am to return to 15 years old, the first thing i would do, is to set a goal. Not a massive goal, like "I AM GOING TO BE THE PM OF AUSTRALIA!" but a reasonable one. "I will master left hand writing!" or even, "do 50 push ups in one go!". Reason for is that, the first time I accomplished a goal (which was jog30 minutes non stop), the confidence I felt and the possibility of other things I see myself doing was exhilarating. For me that was the boost I needed. 

Also, since you said before that your studying method were none existant and you dont know how to fix it. May I possibility suggests get yourself into a habit of following to-do-lists? What I discovered about it was that, it starts with me a small one, like basic time to wake up, what time to brush the teeth, do 1 hour of reading,  take walk, or sleep. It eventually grows into something bigger, like which what I am aiming to do before I turn twenty. Mind you I am almost finished uni and there are still some of that lists I havent finished yet xD

Set a goal, make a plan, settle into a rythm and slowly, but also suddenly you will see improvements. If you do not know where to start, look around your rooms, if it's not clean, that could very well be your starting point. Set a goal to keep your room clean for a week, sometimes all you need is a little success to feel comfident and achieve something even greater! haha either way, try to get more advice on this, there are more than one way and once you find your groove, then you will improve Smiley Very Happy