cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Fault for the faultless

I was just thinking about this when I was reading through another persons post, and I wanted to get some peoples opinion on this certain issue I have. I generally don't like getting in trouble, authority figures scare me especially at school or in public so I generally avoid it as much as possible, But when I'm not doing anything wrong, I see other people I know doing something wrong like even something stupid like going to the bathroom when they haven't asked or whatever, and I get worried as I think I'm going to get in trouble for what they have done. Its really random but this actually happens alot to me. Anyone can um relate or tell me their opinion about this?

Highlighted

Re: Fault for the faultless

I can relate to this. I believe that rules are there for a reason and it's important to follow them. I will occasionally break a rule that I think is completely absurd or unnecessary or archaic (I used to smuggle recording devices into concerts or music festivals), but such breaking or bending of rules is very rare for me.

If I'm with a group of people and one or more of them break a rule that I'm not willing to break, I do worry that I will be unfairly implicated in the infraction, just because I was there when it happened. In reality, when I've told the truth, that's never happened.

Apart from that, even when I'm not part of it, I worry that if other people break a rule, it will affect the rest of us because those rules might get stricter or start to affect us all in ways which inconvenience everyone. For example, when so many people overstay their visas in a country, it makes it more difficult for people who want to get and use that visa legitimately. In a way, I'm being punished for the indescretions of others.

So, yeah, I can relate to this. Sometimes I've discovered my worries are entirely irrational; at other times I resent those who caused trouble before me, thus making my own experience more inconvenient.

Truth be told, as long as you're following the rules yourself, you should have nothing to worry about. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey endommage 

Yeah I can relate to that. I get really uneasy when I've witnessed someone doing something wrong. Sometimes when you see someone do something wrong you can take on that responsibility and I think it's normal and I also think its your consciousness just showing you what a good person you are I guess Smiley Happy 

As long as you do what you think is right then that's all that's important Smiley Happy 

Hey endommage,

I know what you mean, especially in high school when people may be trying to see how far they can push the boundaries. This isn’t much fun when you don’t want to be included in their punishment! I know I’ve been in these situations too and I try to make sure I only get involved in what I’m comfortable with.

Highlighted

Hey Endommage,

I can definitely relate to this as well. I also find myself getting really frustrated when others break rules and especially if they don't seem to consider other people's feelings.

I think it could be something related to anxiety. I am quite an anxious person so I think it's just a part of that. I don't think there's anything wrong with being overly cautious, but at the same time if it is bothering you or worrying you, have a chat to someone about it - maybe just to put your mind at ease! Smiley Happy

I'm glad to see I am not alone in feeling this way!!!
Highlighted

Hi endommage,

I also don't like to get into trouble. During high school, and even beyond it (but it's happened less now), I had a lot of friends who would break rules and even do stuff which could get us in trouble with the law. A lot of the times, I would follow along because it was something the whole group did and I didn't want to be left out. As a result, it made me really anxious a lot of times I was with my friends.

However, when I started university, I felt like I had increased confidence. After a while, if my group wanted to do something that I was uncomfortable with, I would just tell them and they would always understand. These people are my friends, so expecting them to understand my reluctance is something that should be totally normal. Also, some of the times where my friends did something stupid and got in trouble for it, I was never at fault because they'd always exclude me from responsibility.

If I may ask, have you ever gotten in trouble for your friends actions before?