cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feeling completely overwhelmed

I'm sorry to hear that, @mrmusic. You did say that you 'almost' have lost belief in yourself. So there is a part of you that hasn't. 

Maybe it might help to talk about the reasons you had for signing up to do the course you are in now. Sometimes reconnecting to that passion and reason can help you feel motivated again or get that sense of hope back. 

Hi @ryvb3, I guess I would start by saying that I had always wanted to be a musician from the time I was a child. I went through high school and an undergrad uni degree in Music, and (putting aside some of the issues I had at uni), I realised that I wanted to do more than just entertain people. Hence, why I decided to go into music therapy. I want to use the skills that I have to help people.

There are plenty of people who are disappointed in me for not staying on my original goal, and it’s really easy to get sucked into that disappointment.

@mrmusic Hearing your story about how you want to use music to help people brought a smile to my face Smiley Very Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have people that seem to support your goal. Maybe it's because they don't understand or respect that that is what you want to do. 

What instruments do you play? I vaguely remember you mentioning that you were learning the guitar...

Do you have a specific idea about what type of people you would like to help? I just did a quick Google search about music therapy and learnt that you can work in aged care homes, hospitals etc. 

@ryvb3 I play a few instruments, the music therapy ‘staple’ is piano and guitar - and yes you are correct that my guitar skills do need a bit of polishing up! Smiley Very Happy

In terms of client groups, personally I was thinking either adults with disabilities or elderly/end of life. There are also opportunities to work in NICU (premature babies), and children with certain conditions (ASD particularly), although I am less interested in these. I’ve made a conscious decision not to work in an inpatient mental health setting because its probably going to bee a bit triggering for me, although a lot of good work has been done by music therapists in mental health.

Highlighted

@mrmusic That sounds, great! I like the sound of the client groups you have chosen and it's good that you know who you want to work with and who you don't. Smiley Very Happy

For your prac, are you in the client group you want to work with? Has there been some things you have enjoyed in your prac so far?

@ryvb3 My current prac is in a nursing home, but I’m not too sure how I’m liking it. I don’t really feel listened to by my supervisor, which is unfortunate. That said, there have been some really enjoyable moments which is good!

I’m going to head off to bed now, but thanks for chatting @ryvb3, you’re a legend!

Thanks also for your kind words @redhead @Lan-RO.

@mrmusic @ryvb3 this was such a really lovely exchange to read Smiley Happy you are both two incredible people

How long have you got left on your current prac?

Thanks @lokifish, I don’t feel like an incredible person but I still appreciate it. Heart Heart

I’ve got until the end of June, and I feel a little more confident with myself on prac.

I’ve managed to get a good outline with all the points for my assignment due Wednesday, now to actually expand it out. It’s something I guess...

Hey everyone @lokifish @ryvb3 @redhead @Esperanza67 I think I can knock this assignment over tonight. I’ll be very happy if that happens, because that will then give me a good amount of time to work on the lit review.