cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling like...

I feel like I need to hurt myself so that I'll know what I'm feeling, or at least why. 

Re: Feeling like...

Hey @Bay82VU 

It sounds like you're in a really hard place at the moment. And maybe things are really intense for you at the moment. It's so awesome that you have the desire to express this need here. Sometimes just putting the words out there can take the edge off.

This is the amazing story of a girl who found other ways to release those massive feelings so she didn't need to injure herself anymore. 

Do you find you get any relief from talking about what the feelings are? 

To understand how you're feeling, hurting yourself is really not the way, the best way I've found is to talk to someone be it a close friend or even just people on a forum like us, so I'm glad you've opened up and shared with us @Bay82VU.
If you have some issues you want to talk about let us know or if you want to talk to someone directly try the kids helpline on 1800 55 1800, I've found it really helps just getting things out there.

I don't have a way to put words to it. There's nothing to say, it just is. Every word already seems wrong.

We've got lots of info on self harm... Usually it's because you are trying to cope with painful emotions... http://au.reachout.com/Tough-Times/Somethings-not-right/Self-harm

I wonder if any other members here have anything to share with Bay82VU????

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey @Bay82VU 

I know hurting yourself might seem like a good way of getting a release, but remember that release is only temporary. You do not need to hurt yourself, nor do you deserve to hurt yourself. Do you have anything that you can do to distract yourself? I sometimes find it helpful to just write out everything I am feeling, or even just scribble on a piece of paper if I can't find words to say. If its about getting a physical feeling then you could grab some ice and squeeze it in your hand until it melts. Remember that the feelings you are experiencing cannot stay at such an intense level. I know its painful and you just want to feel something, but you can get through this without taking it out on yourself. Have you tried screaming into a pillow? Or even just punching a pillow? 

Thanks
Highlighted

Hey Bay82VU,

I'm sorry to hear that you were feeling like you wanted to hurt yourself. That is really tough. The others have given you some great advice but I just wanted to check in to see how you are going. Did any of the suggestions help?

I used to find writing on myself with pen helped with self-harm urges. I've been known to have my upper leg covered in random words and pictures in many different colours! And then it can be washed off in the shower. I don't know if this technique will work for others but it has helped me in the past.

Do you have any professional support at the moment?

Take care of yourself.

Hi mischief,

I didn't really end up trying the suggestions because I found myself frozen into inaction. In the past I've tried drawing on my arm which was ok so thanks for reminding me about that.

I don't have support at the moment. I wouldn't have anything to say even if I did.

Hey @Bay82VU 

It really sucks that you are feeling the way you are feeling at the moment, because no one deserves to feel that way! You said that you don't know how to put what you're going through into words. Have you thought about telling someone that you trust, maybe a parent or a close friend, exactly what you have written here? Or even show them the post if you can't bring yourself to say it out loud. Even if you can't go into detail about what you are going through, just saying one sentence like your original post can get you a bit of support and understanding. All the replies you have received show that you have gotten at least part of your message across, don't you think? 

I'd also like to reassure you that finding alternatives for self harm can be different for everyone, and that you may need to try a few more different techniques until you find the one that truly works for you. You might find the BUSlist website helpful, as it is specifically for people who are having issues with self harm, so you can get some more specific advice. Even if you don't think you would like to post onto the forum yourself, maybe if you read through other people's post you might be able to find some stuff that relates to what you are going through. 

I hope this helps!