cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding my father

Hello! I just joined this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this. If it's in the wrong spot, could a moderator/admin move it for me? Thanks.

So, I'm trying to look for my father. I've never met him before. My mum has told me that she left him before I was born because he drank and gambled, and didn't want him to be a bad influence on me, but my grandma recently told me that he was a very nice and smart man. She also told me that he had a brother, but she didn't mention his name.

I know his first and last name, so I tried looking him up on Facebook. I came up with one person who had his name, but there was no profile picture. I tried messaging that account a few years ago, too, but I never got a reply — so I assume it's inactive. I searched his name into Twitter, and but I didn't get a result. I just searched the surname into Twitter, and looked through the results, and I didn't think anything would be linked to my father. I tried Google, and I found an Ancestry search result. I looked on Ancestry and found two other people with the same surname, who lived in the same area as the person with his name. I looked up those two names, and came up with a site that had a photo of their graves — they were husband and wife, and parents to two boys, and one of the boys had the same name as my father.

At this point, I assume that they are my grandparents, and the other son's name was the name of my uncle. I recognised my uncle's name, from an account I saw on Twitter. So I went back to that search, and I found his account. But it's private. I requested to follow him. Sadly, I can't message him, because, you know, the person you want to message has to follow you. But I don't know if he ever uses that account. He only has ten followers. It's not enough, to me. I also tried looking on Facebook and Instagram, but there's nothing.

Is there anything else I can do to find him? Is there anyone who could help? But somewhere that you don't have to pay, because I don't want my family to know I'm doing this.

My mum has his number, but with a recent event that has happened, I'm staying at my grandparents' and I'm too scared to talk to her.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

(Also, just to let you know, Max Caulfield isn't my real name. It's a game character's name CSmiley Happy

Re: Finding my father

Hey @MaxCaulfield - thanks for reaching out to us about this!

I can't think of any other means of contacting your dad/his family off the top of my head, but I'll give it some thought and get back to you if I come up with any.

Could you ask your grandparents to speak to your mum on your behalf?

I think it's really brave of you to search so determinedly for your dad, and I wish you the best of luck! 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //