cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Haphephobia and other anxieties...

Hello,

I have an unrealistic fear of being touched by others sexually (even if I'm attracted to them) and also of telling people that I'm gay, so much so that I feel like throwing up and start crying. After telling people that I'm gay, I feel calm but still apprehensive about bringing up the topic.

These past few months, I thought that perhaps this was because if I reveal my sexuality to somebody, social networks will eventually lead to my sister's knowledge of my homosexuality. To overcome this obsticle, I recently just told her that I was gay (I again became anxious and what-not). But this does not seem to have solved the problem...I still feel anxious talking to her about being gay, talking to others about being gay, and touching and being touched by others.

My apprehension, I think, is due to subconscious realisations - something deep down brings up the anxiety (in contrast, I consciously tell myself to get the hell over it). Have others experienced such anxieties or know of possible treatments?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Haphephobia and other anxieties...

Hey @ZisIsHostelYa ,

Welcome to Reach Out!!

Revealing intimate details about your private life can be really anxiety producing, at the best of times, but it's made particularly difficult when there is the possibility that the person might react negatively. Coming out to people is something that many young GLBTIQ people struggle with. Twenty10 is a service that provides support to young people  from diverse genders and sexualities. They have a bunch of resources to support young people dealing with issues like this, one of which is this fact sheet on coming out.

It sounds like feeling anxious might be something you struggle with. Is that right? Have you tried talking to someone about the haphephobia? Headspace has psychologists you can talk to face to face and KHL have counsellors that you can talk to over the phone or online.

Is this something you might want to try?

Highlighted

Hey @ZisIsHostelYa I just wanted to let you know that tonight at 8pm AEST we're having a discussion during our weekly Getting Real session about fears and phobias - maybe you'd like to come along? 

http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/The-Getting-Real-sessions/What-are-you-afraid-of/td-p/51501/jump-to...

Hope to see you there - or if you can't make it - you could read the conversation afterwards....

Take care - hope you've reached out to some of the services Nigio mentioned - we'd love to know how you are going...

Sophie

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

We also have this story on RO about a person who also had fear of being touched, hope it helps

http://au.reachout.com/Dont-touch-me

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com