cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeless woes still

Sorry for another thread but I need to talk about this.  As some of you know I've been homeless for over 5 months. It's really hard not having the stability. 

I've been trying to get into supported accommodation but it's likely I won't be accepted. I've been waiting 5 months for this one place and I'm not able to go there. I'm so over it. 

I'm having to look at private rentals again and I don't know if I can afford it tbh. Like half my pay will go to rent. 

And then there the question will I be safe on my own again. I moved out of my old house because I was unsafe and I'm scared it's going to end up like my old place. 

My psychologist is frustrated with all this so is my case manager. But there's nothing I can so. 

And the accommodation I'm in right now sucks. But at least I'm not on the streets. 

I don't know how much longer I can cope being homeless. It just makes everything so unstable. I hate it. 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: Homeless woes still

I hear you, stability is so imporant @redhead The cost of living is a challenge these days you're spot on.

Do any of your services have a financial counsellor available who could give you some advice around housing affordability? We're here to listen and support as you go, I am glad you aren't on the streets even though the current place is not ideal. Heart

@Bree-RO there's nothing I can do about the cost of living, I have no choice. I'm looking at the cheapest rentals and it's still about 50% of my centrelink.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

I'm not too worried about the cost though. I'm more worried about coping without support.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

@redhead

I have heard of a few schemes that various state and territory governments set up to allow people to live with someone who gets reduced rent in return for being there for them when they need some support. Could you look into that as a way of getting a slightly bigger house for slightly less? 

Also i expect you would be eligible for the NDIS as part of the funding that they have for people living with Psycho-social disability. They may be able to subsidise some of the things you need, freeing up a bit of funding for accommodation. They sometimes can fund some types of supported accommodation too if that's something you still want to do. I.e you get some hours for support through the NDIS and then pay that to someone like Step-up Step-Step down to deliver that, leaving you with a reduced "bill". This is something you need to chat to someone who know's about the NDIS about. But from what i know it rolled out in Tasmania for our age group at the start of this year. 

@Ben-RO I don't think there's anything like that here. And I couldn't live with anyone away. And with ndis they don't cover accommodation and I don't really access any other services.

Though I got some good news I'm having another interview with the supported accommodation service I've been waiting on. This is to clarify things and put me back on the wait list.
I also have a few house inspections lined up for next week.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

That is good news @redhead! Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes Smiley Happy

IM SO EXCITED.
I had my interview with the supported accommodation today and I got accepted into a room. I MOVE IN ON FRIDAY. yayyyyyy
After 6 months of being homeless I have somewhere to live... I actually have a room!

(can you tell I'm excited) Smiley Tongue
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

Awesome @redhead!!! Smiley Happy

How long do you get to stay there?

@RevzZ as long as I want to