cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeless

So in case you didn't know I've been homeless the last 4months. I've been lucky I've had a friend who let me stay at his place. Thing is after I go home from hospital on Monday I can't really return back there.

And today I found out the place I've been waiting to get into has had some confusion and said I might not be accepted now. They could have told me that 4 months ago. I have to have another interview with them to figure what the fuck is up. And then even if I get accepted again a bed might not come up for a while. 

But that still leaves me with no where to go. 

Apparently I can't even go to step up step down until a place comes up in emergency housing. 

And then the thing the emergency housing is 220 a week. How the fuck am I meant to afford that. 

Anyway I have no idea what to do.

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: Homeless

@redhead sounds like a job for the Hospital Social Worker! They can often find ways to squeeze you in to priority housing lists if you're being discharged to homelessness, and if you can't go back your friends place and you might sleep rough, then that's something that they take very seriously. They might also be able to find you some financial assistance for emergency accommodation. 

Hey @redhead,

definently talk to the hospital social worker about this. 

Just letting you know about the rent situation, when you rent in the public system the 220 amount would be considered the market rent, basically what you’d pay if it was a private rental. You will only pay a contribution to this rental cost that will be calculated based off of your income and expenses. 

Its generally only around 25% of your income, but can change. I hope this helps ease your worries about rental costs. But if you are worried about the money side of things, it might be good to see a free financial counselor to help with budgeting. You can find a free one Here. I hope this helps a bit with your other needs. 

@Ben-RO the hospital social worker is leaving it all to my housing support worker.
I got a text from my housing worker saying that they can cover the first week of emergency housing until I get paid, but I'll have to cover the rest after that.

@SmileMonkey the place I'm trying to move into is actually 85% of your centrelink. And the emergency housing doesn't go by what you get paid it's a fixed rate. I'm not looking to get a unit of my own atm I'm trying to get into supported accommodation
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

This sucks @redhead. I wish I had more practical advice to offer but I wanted to jump in here and let you know that I'm thinking of you.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I'm terrified about tomorrow. I don't have anywhere to go.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

Hey @redhead what happened with the first week with the emergency housing? Here to listen.

You're probably linked in with these but just in case The Gender Center has a housing support service, there's also Housing Connect and an information advice line at TUTAS however they won't be open until tomorrow. Heart

@Bree-RO I won't know til tomorrow if I can get in there. My housing connect worker is getting onto it for me. Buy on Friday there was no beds so I don't know about tomorrow
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

hearing you @redhead. We are absolutely going to support you as a community through this.

Heart Heart Heart

When I was up against the prospect of homelessness this one really helped me - 

a825b1619d27e83a0fd67e7e1813b5c1--never-give-up-quotes-quotes-for-me.jpg

I'm scared about what today's going to bring.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire