cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can society be so complacent to child abuse????

Hi guys sorry if this post seems really emotional but these last few weeks have left my mind just destroyed. My mother, due to both a long history of drugs and her own awful personality, has been physically and abusing my siblings for years. And during my last few months of trying to stop this I’ve just been horrified at how little society seems to care??? Like my entire family has done nothing and have even sided with her over me. And today I called cps about it and was treated like a dumb little child. The worker kept snickering at me when I asked questions, cobtradicted what cps told me last time, outright didn’t care about what my siblings are going through, literally said there were no other organizations or groups that I could turn to and that I just need to keep fighting this myself. I just feel so alone and sick at how little everyone cares. I’ve compketely disowned my entire family after this and I never want to call cps again. This is the absolute worst I’ve felt in years and what’s worse is that my new counselor is difficult as well. During our first meeting she continuously downplayed the situation my young siblings are in and tried to imply that my past child abuse has clouded my judgement despite the fact that she is abusing them and the police have been called on her multiple times. I just feel so alone and I can’t even turn to my counselor (who makes me doubt everything and won’t even listen to what I try to tell her) or cps (who simply won’t help or even advise me what to do). I feel so horrible and crushed and I never want to speak to any of them again sorry if this post is Ranty I just have literally no one else to talk to and my depression and anxiety have been he worst in years in just the last few days

Re: How can society be so complacent to child abuse????

Hi @bumblesheep this definitely sounds like a hard situation. I'm sorry that no one seems to be taking you seriously.
Can the police advise of anything? Especially because they know the situation? Maybe they can put in a report to CPS?

I'm going to tag a couple of mods to help as I'm lost @Ben-RO @N1ghtW1ng @lokifish @May_ @missep @scared01

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart
Highlighted

Hi @bumblesheep, I'm so sorry to hear what you're having to go through at the moment. Violence and abuse is never okay and I'm shocked to hear that kind of reaction from the CPS worker. Is there a manager or supervisor of theirs that you could contact to talk about how they handled your case? 

It sounds like this is unfortunately something you've had to do before, but I did first of all want to stress that if there's ever a moment where you or you're siblings feel like you're in immediate danger to call 000. 

We've got some info here on domestic violence support and it breaks down where you can get some support with this by state, so hopefully one or more of the resources will be some help. Also, have you ever been in touch with Lifeline or Kids Helpline before? 

Let us know how you go with those, we're here if you need to talk things through some more Smiley Happy 

@bumblesheep You sound like such an amazing sibling to have and what great support. It sounds tough not having any follow through from services but I have to say, you've been doing a great job. I feel like the suggestions here so far have been excellent and I hope it helps. The only thing I'll add if you haven't already thought of it is to maybe speak to Parentline who I believe provide advice and support around these sorts of issues. I know it's "parent"line but I only suggest that because they may have other resources we haven't thought of. In saying that, don't forget about yourself in all of this. It's easy to get overwhelmed when worrying about others and forget that we might need to actually take a breath and re-group. Especially since you've said you're struggling quite a lot yourself anyway. I'm glad you've posted with us for advice and support, maybe you can keep us in the loop while you're going though this. 

Thank you for the advice everyone, I’m gonna decide on what to do next tomorrow since I’m still very emotional tonight, it’s very reassuring that there still seems to be other options I have because the worker today flat out said that there weren’t any organizations I could go to. I feel like more has to be done with my mother as this is a very serious and ongoing situation, I’ll try to keep you all updated but unfortunately I’m pessimistic as to whether much will happen, she’s been getting away with this for months but now with exams over I have the time to do more about it

Next week my mothers going to court for assaulting a police officer (not for child abuse of bloody course) so I’m gonna wait until then to see the verdict of that since, if found guilty, she has been threatened with jail time in which she won’t have contact with my siblings. If this happens it’ll give me some more time to figure out what to do because to be honest I’m still super confused and emotional atm and I can’t think of a clear plan forward. I’ll see what happens in court then I’ll let you guys know what my plan might be but I’m still unsure 

Hey @bumblesheep, I see you've got a lot of stress at the moment. How was your day today?

-Lina/RO

It was better thanks but I still can’t get my mind off of the cps call from yesterday the conversations been replaying in my mind all day and making me feel very angry and snxious I’m gonna try to do some work tomorrow as a distraction and I might make an appointment with my counselor although I’m wary about how supportive she would be after our first meeting

@bumblesheep I can imagine the emotions being pretty up and down for you for the next few days. Lots of self care is needed at this time until your body processes what happened during that call.

An appointment with your counsellor is a good idea. Why are you wary about her support?

I’ve only had one session with her but she seemed a bit dismissive of my worries about the abuse of my siblings and tried to imply that I’m possibly overreacting due to my own past with abuse myself. I also kept getting the impression that she would pick out things I said I make her own conclusions about my entire situation even if it meant ignoring other facts (sorry if that doesn’t make sense it was a very strange session). I left the session feeling ignored and my worries with the abuse not being taken seriously since she kept undermining me by playing down the severity of it. She was nice and everything but of all the counselors I’ve had over the past few years she just seemed very unsympathetic and condescending. I just worry that another session might only worsen my emotions but I could still give it a try - hopefully she’ll be a bit nicer and supportive but I’m unsure