cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have no motivation

Over the past 2 weeks I have been feelng heavy hearted, lost, lonely and confused despite being surrounded by family and friends. My heart feels like its been crushed. I feel I have noone to talk to as noone understands my pain. I have no motivation r drive left to do anything at all. I spend all day in bed or lounging around the house in pjs. If i go out of the house i feel im in a daze and just floating. I can not concentrate i can not eat. I feel sick. I get hot sweats. I dont know what to do or who to turn to. Life is a mess. I have an assignment due next week and I havent started yet. I feel nothing is worthwhile anymore. Please help Smiley Sad

Re: I have no motivation

Hello Miss_Lil_J,

Firstly, welcome to Reach Out! It's great to have you here. Smiley Happy I hope you will find these forums helpful.

It sounds as though things are really tough for you at the moment and I'm so sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad It sounds as though you are quite stressed at the moment.

But it's important that you understand that things CAN get better. Often a good way for things to improve is to talk to someone about what's going on. Getting everything out in the open can be really helpful! It seems as though you have a good bunch of friends and family, could you talk to them about how you are feeling? It can be as simple as saying to one of them... "I am feeling really stressed and need to talk about how I am feeling". Or writing them a letter explaining what's going on?

I don't know if you are at school or uni or tafe, but either way, you should have a counsellor of some type at all of those institutions, could you make an appointment to see them? Or maybe you could talk to the teacher of the subject where the assignment is due? Another option is to give Kids Help Line (for up to 25 year olds) a call - they are available 24/7 and are free (1800 551 800). They also offer online counselling: http://www.kidshelpline.com.au . eHeadspace is another option too: http://www.eheadspace.org.au - they offer online counselling too.

Other ideas that might help include making sure you are eating a well balanced diet, exercising regularly and getting enough sleep. Also finding a hobby that you enjoy - whether this is drawing, painting, listening to music etc. All of these things can help pick your mood up!

Here are some great factsheets to read as well: http://au.reachout.com/All-about-feeling-crap and http://au.reachout.com/Im-feeling-overwhelmed

Take care of yourself and it's really great you've come on here to get some help. Smiley Happy

MM.

Hey Lil J,

As MM said, welcome to RO and good on you for sharing your story and being so honest in the way you tell it. 

It sounds like this feeling of being lost and lonely is only a relatively recent thing. How you been able to identify any changes or traumas in your life recently that may have caused you to feel this way - or is it just a general sense or being down and not on top of things? 

Either way, you are not alone in having these feelings (even though it probably feels like it right now) and as MM said, the best way to start dealing with them is to talk to someone. That line 'a problem shared is a problem halved' might sound a bit cheesy, but from my experience it is almost always true. I find that after talking it over I usually feel a bit more relaxed and have the clarity to make some changes to get out of the doldrums.

If the assignment you have due is causing you a lot of anxiety, maybe you should contact the teacher and ask for an extension? Most teachers (Uni/School/TAFE) tend to be pretty accommodating if it is the first time you have asked for an extension. 

Believe me, I know how hard it can be to drag yourself into action when you are feeling like this, but I can't suggest strongly enough that you talk to a friend or family member, or contact one of the services that MM has suggested. 

Take care, and touch base with us to let us know how you are getting on. 

Benny

Thanks guys

Sadly this is not a new thing to me. I have been feeling like this for almost 5 years now. I dont feel I have anyone in my friends and/or family to talk to as I feel that they dont understand what it feels like and that they will judge me for being this way. I know I need to talk to someone and I have before. I have been to see a counselor before and she was extremely helpful which is why this episode is new. I felt I had learnt how to cope alone. I tried to make an appointment to see her again only to hear that she has taken long service leave. I have made an appointment to see another counsellor at the same service however I have never seen her before and Im scared of having to relive it all again and tell someone new.

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with this for a long time... but am so glad to hear that your counsellor last time was extremely helpful! That's really positive to hear. Smiley Happy

It sounds as though you've made some great positive steps with making an appointment to see a new counsellor. It's understandable that you don't want to relive it and tell someone new, but I think it's probably important for your new counsellor to know what helped in the past and what didn't. Maybe you could write some stuff down so that way you don't have to say it to them out loud instead just hand them the piece of paper? Or just have those notes ready in case you go blank when you see the new person.

I'm really glad you've made an appointment with the counsellor and I really hope it goes well for you!

Let us know how it goes (if you feel comfortable doing that!).

MM.

Hey MLJ,

It is really encouraging to hear that the counselor was able to help you in the past, and it is a shame that she isn't available to see you again this time, but you never know, you might find you also have a really strong rapport with this counselor as well. Fingers crossed that you do!

I can also relate to the feeling that you had everything under control and now you are feeling down again despite your best efforts to keep it in check. But I think sometimes you just need a 'top up' of attention from someone who can listen, understand and help you get back on track. It is a really natural thing to go through peaks and valleys, so try not to be too hard on yourself and focus on getting the help you deserve.

I am actually soooo scared about going to see them that I have seriously considered on many occassions of cancelling the appointment and just waiting until my normal counsellor comes back. I have gone through so much over the years and Im not sure im emotionally strong enough to relive it all. 2 months ago I felt I had everything under control and then it fell apart again. I can not pinpoint exactly why. I have had some really bad stuff happen to me in the last year and managed to keep it under control. The only thng I can equate to how im feeling now is that the seams have come undone and all the grief and emotion I thought was under control has fallen out and its too much for me to handle now. This is why I come here....talking to you guys helps me blurt it all out and feel safe. Im always scared of being judged for being different. I dont see what others see and it frustrates me and them. It hurts me to not be ale to just be happy with who I am. I dont know who that is but I know its not where I a now. I know I can move past this I just feel the rope to higher ground is fraying and there is no more rope left. At the moment I can not see a way out of it.. I feel im in a black hole and a cyclone is surrounding me with my life in it. I just want to be able to have someone to talk to late at night when im home alone and my emotions strike. I feel so alone and trapped in my own dark life.

Highlighted

Hi Lil J!

Did you get to that appointment? I know it's hard to put yourself out there and force yourself to do these things - but you said the other counsellor was helpful, so I'm really hoping you took that step again.
If you're not quite up to seeing a counselor again, have you thought about trying Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 ?

Please check back in and let us know how you're doing.

JD.

Thank you so much for all your words and concern. This is the only place I feel people actually care and are willing to help and listen. I feel all my friends have neglected me… no one seems to answer messages or calls anymore and people continually turn down invitations to meet up… as for my counsellor appointment it is not until Thursday morning… thank you for everything guys… it means so much to me… all your help and support has helped me start my assignment… I subscribed to workout last night and it is very very helpful… has given me a small sense of purpose and direction again… everything is not perfect but I just want to thank you all for actually listening and caring enough to respond

Hello again? How's today been? It sounds like you're at least finding a little motivation for a few things. That's fantastic, just keeping taking those small steps forward Smiley Happy

JD