cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I have trouble making friends

Hi @Pyrotechnic! sorry to hear you're feeling lonely, but know that you're not alone - I felt the exact same way in highschool! I also went to a high-achieving all-girls school and man, it was hard to make real, reliable friends. I don't know whether this is particularly a problem in all-girls schools, but it felt like everyone was always stabbing each other in the back and gossiping so it was hard to know who really was there for you.

My advice would be to try to look to out-of-school activities to make friends - I found volunteering is an especially good way, because you already have something in common: you both care about an important issue! Regarding making friends within school, it's tough but I found that asking people who I talked to/sat near in my classes if they wanted to study together was a good way of getting friendly with people. It feels less scary than out-of-the-blue asking something like 'hey [insert name of girl in biology class], would you like to hang after school?'. Asking to study together is especially good if your school is academic and people are usually down to get work done, and you'll most likely find that from there they'll be keen to hang out with you outside of a study setting too. Honestly though, at the end of the day, don't forget that highschool is only temporary and almost everyone I know has found it waaaaayyy easier to make solid friends once they'd left school and gone to uni etc. Rather than only having like 100 people in your grade to make friends with, you have thousands of people you can interact with and so many ways to find people who have similar interests to you. Take care Heart

Highlighted

Hi @Pyrotechnic, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling lonely. It's hard when we feel like there's no one we can connect to Smiley Sad I completely understand how you feel as I also struggle with making friends as I'm rather shy and have bad social anxiety at times.
The best advice I can give is to just be yourself and those who are meant to be your friends will naturally warm to you. Don't put so much pressure on yourself, there will always be someone who is more than happy to be your friend! You just got to sort through the bad ones and find the good ones!
Stay positive, you'll get there!!
Highlighted

hey @Pyrotechnic this is definitely a hard topic, I struggle with it as well. the one thing I am sure about is it isn't you nor will it ever be. Finding the right friends are hard but try starting small, try finding one friend at a time and there is no need to rush the friendship and dive in head first. Once you get comfortable with one person then slowly start to get closer to them maybe meet their friends. remember it is okay to back away it isn't your fault. try saying hi to at least one person. the biggest tasks are always completed by taking the smallest steps. hope this helps all the best. 

Highlighted

Everyone ignores me, they look at me weird and they act condescending towards me. It makes me feel insecure I guess.

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that you feel that way @Pyrotechnic. I understand how those experiences can make you feel insecure and uncomfortable as it is never nice when people act condescendingly towards us. Do you have anyone that you can talk to about how you feel when this happens?
Highlighted

Hi @Pyrotechnic,
I'm sorry with how you feel. Do you have anyone to talk about how you feel? like you family member or school counselling. I think having someone to help your to work through your experience can help you find solutions. At least, talking to someone can make you feel supported and less distressed.