cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I’m absolutely spent

Is it the lack of sleep do you think? Or something else?

Sorry to hear that things are tough for you right now @Saltwaterdreamtime .It's good to hear that your partner is supportive and that you would talk to them if they were available right now. Would you be able to do any activities tonight that might help you feel a bit better, and then maybe talk to your partner tomorrow if you are still feeling concerned?

@Sophia-RO @Lost_Space_Explorer5 
Yeah, not sleeping isn’t helping, but when I do sleep I wake up tired anyway. So I don’t know right now. Sometimes I think it’s stress other times I think my body is just fucked. I don’t think I will bother because it’s just how I feel nothing can actually change, I’m just nervous that’s all. 

I couldn’t keep myself awake at 10am but now I don’t feel tired 😑

That sounds really awful @Saltwaterdreamtime . Everything seems to get tougher when we are physically and mentally exhausted. Do you think doing some enjoyable activities before bed might help you fall off to sleep and get a better sleep? Do you find relaxation or meditation strategies to be helpful?

Hey @Sophia-RO Sorry I just got around to replying to this, we had to call the ambulance on our little fella this morning so it’s a bit of a wild day. He’s ok now, just a fright. The whole thing didn’t make a lot of sense to me but he’s ok now and that’s the main thing.  

I definitely need to change my before bed routine I spent too much time scrolling. And yeah I guess last night I didn’t want to get into it much I don’t feel like here is the place especially but I was also in a weird mood but I’m just super nervous about our baby next year, excited obviously but yeah it’s on my mind a lot. 

anyway.... got any sleep tips?

That sounds like such a scary thing to go through @Saltwaterdreamtime , I am glad to hear that everyone is alright and feeling ok. Oh fair enough, I think a lot of people are also guilty of spending too much time on their phone before bed (me!!). I have heard that the blue light can make it harder for us to fall asleep though, and that some iphones have a "night mode" that you can use at night (before bed) where it has a warmer light that can help your eyes adapt and get ready to sleep! I can understand why you weren't really looking to talk last night, that is completely okay. Hopefully you were able to have a chat with your partner about what has been concerning you. I think being anxious and excited about a new baby are completely normal feelings. Babies are a big thing to prepare for, but it sounds like you are already a great father and that you and your family will be able to adjust over time to having another baby around!

Hmmm, there a few things that come to mind when I think about sleep tips. I am not sure if you have heard of something called "Sleep Hygiene" (bit of a weird name), but basically it is a way of looking at the sleeping habits that individuals have. Looking at and working on our sleep hygiene by exercising a few hours before bed or only being in bed when you are needing to go to sleep (i.e. not watching tv or movies in bed) can help us change our routines so that our body and brain know that being in bed = sleep! I have found a little information sheet that has some helpful tips on practicing good sleep hygiene and some other strategies that can be used if you wanted to have a read Smiley Happy. Hope that is helpful!

It was weird! @Sophia-RO It all happened really quickly and of course, while waiting for the ambulance he got worse but when they arrived he wasn’t as bad, so try explaining that.. haha but the paramedics that came to our house were so nice. 

Yeah cool, I guess the tough part for me is putting those things into action because I know about them but like.... I need to do them. But I don’t. 

I am glad that things got better and that you had everything checked out by the paramedics @Saltwaterdreamtime . It must have been an awfully stressful and worrying situation Smiley Sad

I totally feel you about struggling to put those things into action - it really is tough. I also look at my phone late at night and sometimes I know it is getting later and later but I still don't stop. I often use the 'Screen time' function on my iPhone to lock myself out of apps after a certain time/amount of time. You can still bypass that though, so sometimes I think it is just a matter of making a promise to yourself to do something, reminding yourself of your promise and also why you want to change your behaviour (e.g. I will be tired the next day). Then the hardest part is having that self-control to follow through on your promise. Sometimes I might think 'tonight I am going to not look at my phone past 11pm'.. or if I am already looking at my phone and see how late it is, I might think 'Ok, 10 more mins of scrolling then at 11:30pm, it is time for me to stop'. Not saying it is easy or that simple, just acknowledging that it is very challenging to put things into action and you aren't alone.

Also, if you find yourself consumed by a lot of thoughts while trying to sleep, I know some people have recommended writing a 'worry list' and setting aside time tomorrow to worry about them. It can let you rationalise to your brain that there isn't much you can do about the worrying problem right now... but you can think about it tomorrow when you are actually able to act on it instead.

I hope things improve soon Heart

@Taylor-RO yeah what started with an innocent freckle with the bubbacino
ended with the ambulance here... been assured it wasn’t the chocolate
freckle that caused it but a strange coincidence.

Yeah, I need to fix my routine. Thanks for your tips. I get really stressed
when I’m trying to sleep. I changed the settings on my phone to have night
mode on too. I used to have a really good sleep routine.