cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm worried about myself

Hi. 

This is the first time I've done this, so bear with me. 

I'm 19 years old. I don't work, drive, I have Uni - but now that I'm on holidays I never leave the house. 

I never talk to friends, I don't know if I even have any. 

I cry a lot. 

I felt like killing myself before but I'd never actually do it. 

I worry about everything! 

I got invited to a birthday party yesterday and I started getting worried. When I thought of not going I felt good again. 

This isn't normal! I should be having the time of my life right now.

What do I do???

Re: I'm worried about myself

Hi Hopeless Hermit,

It sounds like things are pretty tough for you at the moment, so I just wanted to start by saying good on you for coming to the forums and reaching out for help. Asking for help can be a pretty difficult thing to do so you should be really proud of yourself for that Smiley Happy! Have you spoken to anyone about how you're feeling? Your GP would be a good person to have a talk about how worried you've been feeling if you're up to it as they are good source information and advice on managing worries and anxiety and can refer you on to a psychologist or counsellor if you want. If you're not comfortable with talking to your GP you could also contact eheadspace https://www.eheadspace.org.au/ or kidshelpline http://www.kidshelp.com.au/ by telephone or for an online chat as both of these services are available to children and young people up to the age of 25. They are both really useful services (I've used KHL myself and I've found them to be really excellent to talk to) and will be able to give you more professional advice so I'd encourage you to give them a go. There are also plenty of factsheets and personal stories on here on Reach Out about how to deal with worries and anxiety which might help you. You can find them here: http://au.reachout.com/Tough-Times/Somethings-not-right/Stress-and-anxiety and here: http://au.reachout.com/Tough-Times/Mental-health-issues/Anxiety-disorders

Hope that helps!

DD Smiley Happy

No I haven't spoken to anyone about how I'm feeling. Apart from the internet lol - but I don't think it's a reliable source. I do feel like I need to talk to someone who is real about it, but no one in my family knows. I don't want to burden them with another thing and I don't think that they would believe me. 

Thank you for your help, I will check out those sites. I tried KHL before and was on hold for ages, so I logged out. 

Hey HH (I'm going to call you HH, as I don't believe you are a hopeless hermit!),

It sounds as though things are a bit tough right now but I can find a few positives for you… 

1. You named this thread "I'm worried about myself". That's actually a REALLY positive thing - knowing that something is not right is the first step in asking for help.

and 2. You posted on here telling us what's going on. That's another great step in reaching out for help. Being able to admit to someone what's going on (even online) is difficult 

For many young people, being on uni holidays is a huge challenge. We spend the whole year stressing about exams and assignments and when that all stops for a couple of months it can be really weird. It makes it even harder if we don't have a large group of friends (although we might have some at uni so that makes it harder too as we probably won't see them very often). It's interesting that you say in your first post that you wonder if you actually have any friends and then shortly after you say you got invited to a birthday party! That indicates to me that you probably have at least one friend…

I'm sorry to hear that you have thought about killing yourself, but am really glad to hear that you would never actually do it. Having those thoughts though IS serious and it's really important that you talk to someone about them.

Dedicatedreamer has given you some great suggestions and I will repeat some of them:

Kids Help Line (1800 551 800) - http://www.kidshelpline.com.au - KHL is free from most phones. And they offer online counselling from 3-9pm (QLD time) on weekdays. I would really recommend that if you are interested in trying KHL web counselling that you try to be online at 3pm. Their queues are often REALLY long but if you are able to, you normally do get through shortly after 3pm. If you are keen to try ringing, from feedback I've received early hours of the morning and during the day is less busy. KHL also offer email counselling - so you can send them an email (like this forum post) and they will reply to it. It does take up to 2 weeks to get a response though.

eHeadspace - http://www.eheadspace.org.au - eHeadspace offers online counselling between 9am and 1am every day. They also have a phone line 1800 650 890 open at the same times. 

Lifeline - https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat (8pm-midnight) and their help line 13 11 14 (available 24/7). 

If you ARE feeling suicidal, there is the suicide call back service - 1300 659 467. Which IS the best service to contact if you are at risk of hurting yourself… Or you can call 000. 

I would really urge you to give one of those a try. But would also recommend talking to your GP about what's going on. Your family does NOT need to know (you are over 18), but most families are keen to help and are often more understanding than we think…

Take care of yourself, HH. And keep making those small steps to reach out for help. You can get through this and "have the time of your life"!

MM. 

Hey Hopeless Hermit 

Welcome to the forums and you should be proud of yourself for coming on the forums, that takes guts and you have them Smiley Happy 

It's terrible that you are unsure about if u have any friends and I can relate to that, true friends are hard to find and sometimes you need to really analyse who your true friends are. Do you know why you cry or do you just cry for no reason? 

Well you should just do what makes you happy and everyone says when you are young you should do this and that but really that depends on who you are and what you like. I hardly like to go out and I enjoy being at home and watching tv, thats just me and im 21 so you just need to know what makes you happy and do what makes you feel good. 

Do you have anything that you really enjoy and like doing? 

Hi Hopeless Hermit,
First of all welcome to the forums.
As Ruenhonx said you should be proud of yourself for realising somethings not right and asking for help - that's the first step and more often than not its the hardest one.

The other forum members have given you great advice so I won't overload you.
I just wanted to come on here and show my support and let you know that we're here if you need to talk about anything.

I know you said that you haven't told your family about what you've been going through but is there anyone you think you might be able to talk to?
You don't have to tell your whole family, but just having that one person can make a big difference.