cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I self harm but I'm not depressed.

I've been doing the same thing. I only got to this page bc I was hecking to see if I was the only one

Hey @happiness21, yep, lots of people self-harm but are not living with depression. What makes you feel like self-harming? Is this something you want to change?

I feel that same way, but I’ve never been depressed. I just want attention. I am thinking of self-harming more severely. I just don’t want my parents finding out.

Hey @Healthycookie, thanks for sharing that here with us. It is a really difficult thing to be going through. Is there something that has brought this on for you? Unfortunately, I had to edit some graphic details in your post, you can find our community guidelines here. Depression can be really subjective although we are not able to provide medical advice on ReachOut. Have you ever spoken to a health professional about what has been going on for you? I really encourage you to call a service like eheadspace or Suicide Call Back Service if you are having thoughts of harming yourself or others as your safety is a priority Heart

Hey there @Healthycookie, how are going today? Did you check out any of the resources @Taylor-RO mentioned?
Talking to someone about how you're feeling can be a great help, what do you think?

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

I am the same way! I recently (about 4 months ago) got put on meds and I feel amazing, but I still self harm not becuase of stress or depression  and they are never to the point where they would be fatal  and I also came here to ask the same thing

hey @ChapHam , thank you for coming on here to talk about your self-harm - It can be a tough issue to talk about. Just to let you know, I've edited one or two deets in your post just to keep in line with our guidelines Smiley Happy 

So good to hear that you've reached out for help around your mental health, and that the meds you've started on are helping! That's awesome. 

You've probably scrolled back through this post and seen that you're certainly not alone with self-harming without depression - this something lots of people experience.

There are a range of reasons why people might self-harm - if you were previously using self harm as a coping strategy for your mental health, it can be hard to stop even when you're feeling better. 

How do you feel about your self-harm? Do you want to stop doing it? 

I'm wondering if you got a chance to look at any of the resources or ideas mentioned in this thread above? 

Were you linked in with any professional support when you went on meds? A counsellor or psychologist perhaps?