cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I've always liked the action genre. But suddenly, my genre preferences changed completely?!

I've always liked the action genre. Whether it's novels, games or movies/TV, my #1 preferred genre had always been action. Of course I dabbled in other genres too, such as romance, comedy, sci-fi or fantasy, but action was still my #1 preferred genre, while the rest of them are #2 tied. It's been like that for 18 years since birth, so right now I'm 18 turning 19 later in 2020.

BUT...! During the last few weeks, my interest in the action genre gradually decreased, while my interest in a different genre (to be specific, romance) increased. So now, my genre preference rankings changed into #1 romance, #2 tied for everything else.

I still like my novels, games and movies, it's just the main genre preference that changed. But is this normal?

Highlighted

Re: I've always liked the action genre. But suddenly, my genre preferences changed completely?!

Hi @Just_A_Somebody 

Yeah, that sounds like a really common thing to happen.

Sometimes interests just change like that, and there's nothing wrong with it at all. 

Highlighted

Re: I've always liked the action genre. But suddenly, my genre preferences changed completely?!

Yeah, but it's out of my control. Plus, it's more of a significant difference compared to liking sci-fi or fantasy. Romance just has a more pronounced contrast compared to action.
Highlighted

Heyo @Just_A_Somebody Smiley Happy

I think theres nothing you should be worried about, people grow out of their interest and develop new ones and that's 100% completely normal.

For example with me I go through various stages in liking different types of music where I will be really into one thing, and then after a few months change to something different. For the majority of my life I didnt think I could enjoy rap music at all, but around 18 I found myself understanding and liking some rap artists despite me low key hating and looking down and not understanding that type of music for a really long time.

Even playing video games which is something I've done for my whole life I used to be very into first person games, but as I grew older I enjoyed more top down strategy games, but I will still go back to the other genres from time to time.

I think this just simply means your growing as a person. developing your scope, and widening your interests which if anything is a really good thing. Everyone will find new things to enjoy, and sometimes its the things we expect the least Smiley Happy

Lastly are you worried that you wont be able to enjoy action movies anymore ? or are you just curious as to why your interest has shifted ?

https://gph.is/1Gldx6T