cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Isolation after school years and the impact of social media on feelings of loneliness​.

@ClaytZ86 I can relate, I can also be really akward around people, I suffer from social anxiety. My therapist also said I had mild case of Asperger, I wouldn't label myself one, I would say I'm more socially anxious. I know what it's like to be suffocated, but once you get out of your house and expose yourself to more people it gets a little easier, but it does come gradually. I have huge fluctuations for self-esteem, I know what it's like to feel unconfident around people. It can be daunting. 

Sometimes it can be hard to break the cycle, it can be frightening, but that's how we have to conquer our fears. Deeply breathe before you meet up with people. 

Sometimes we tend to overthink, people won't notice all your akwardness. Don't underestimate your strengths, its important to keep in mind your strengths. 

Sometimes I too get day when I feel unmotivated, and its not always easy to get yourself out of the house, but you have to push yourself. It's easy to say, but its very difficult to follow. I've been struggling during my depressive days. 

I do suggest, consulting another therapist like @hartley suggested. I'm sure you are strong enough to make it through. 

Highlighted

Re: Isolation after school years and the impact of social media on feelings of loneliness​.

It's good to hear you're finding riding relaxing. Do you find anything else particularly relaxing? I agree with @NigioC 

it might be a good idea to join a riding club. Firstly you find riding soothing, and you won't need to engage a conservation, and it desensitise you a little, so being around people may not be as frightening. 

Highlighted

I can definitely relate to this. Leaving high school made me realise that I don't really know how to reach out and make new friends. In school you are lumped in with a group of people 5 days a week so for the most part you don't have to take charge of your social life (Eg taking risks by asking people to hang out, arranging to catch up with friends regularly, navigate busy schedules, worry about not having enough money to go out).

It's really hard to make friends at uni particularly at unis that don't have much of a campus/social events. So you are definitely not alone in this! And you are so right that most people already have friends from high school so it must be really tough moving somewhere new.

You make some really good points about social media - we do really need to continuously remind ourselves on a daily basis that it isn't real life and people try really hard to look like they are having a good time. This is such an important topic with social media gaining momentum and I am really glad this forum exists! Smiley Happy