cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Life: Mental Health and Study

Hola forum people,

Recently I've been really struggling with my online course, I've been struggling to find the energy and motivation to do any work. When I do manage to do some work, I quickly feel overwhelmed and confused by the work. I feel sad because I don't fully understand what I'm trying to learn. It feels too hard.

I know I've been struggling with my mental health overall recently, work has been hella stressful and I am worn thin. I've really struggled to get out of bed, and it's a huge effort to get to work and "be normal" that when I finish work I crash and find anything too tiring for my brain to focus on.

I don't know what the best course of action is.

Part of me wants to throw the towel in and give up on study. But I desperately need to find a different job under more supportive management.

I feel like I'm just going around in a circle, and anything I try to do just falls flat in the ring of lack of motivation which is circling myself.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

Re: Life: Mental Health and Study

Hey @Bee, it sucks that you are struggling with energy and motivation to do your work. I know that we have all been there before. It is demotivating, upsetting and our self-esteem can definitely take a hit Smiley Sad The COVID-19 situation has also had a significant impact on motivation and energy, as well. Not to mention, it is pretty tough working in an environment where you don't feel particularly supported. That can be pretty demotivating in itself...

It is totally understandable that all of these things are causing you to feel stressed and worn out. Do you feel as though studying will help you to get a different job? We could chat about tips for completing work, if that would be helpful.. otherwise I am wondering if writing your options out might be helpful? What impact would quitting study and/or your job have on your energy, mood and life in general? Totally okay if you are unsure as well, these are big questions to contemplate Heart
Highlighted

That sounds really hard @Bee, I'm sorry ☹️ Work stress and an unsupportive environment plus confusing online study plus mental health struggles sounds like heaps to be dealing with. I've been really impressed by your resilience in this workplace and how you've been finding ways to cope with it, but it sucks that it's wearing you down so much.

For figuring out the best course of action, would pros and cons lists for each of your options be helpful? What are the options you're considering?

Also, do you have many things in your life (supports, coping methods) that are helping your mental health atm? Is it possible to amp up that side of things while you're figuring things out?

In terms of coping with confusing online study and struggling with motivation for it lately I've found a few things helpful with that: made a comfortable, inviting study space; put times to study into my schedule (so I wasn't constantly having to decide if I was going to study of not then stressing about not doing enough or not letting myself do something else because I thought I should be studying; finding a way of asking for clarification and help when I was confused (and using that avenue a lot). My situation's probably quite different and I don't know if those things would be helpful for you (I know there's bigger problems at play), but I thought I'd share them just in case they did sound useful to you.

Good luck with it, and let us know if there's anything you would appreciate from us, we're here for you

Highlighted

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way @Bee and just wanted to let you know you certainly are not alone. Particularly with so many changes being made to the way study is currently being delivered. I am also finding myself lacking energy and motivation to do anything and when I do eventually work up some I fall into the same hole of becoming extremely overwhelmed and confused. Nothing makes sense at the moment. I am not sure if you're studying through an online course or at university, but just know that I have spoken to so many people in my cohort at uni and everyone is in the same boat. We all seem to be struggling hardcore to make it through. People who often sit top of the class are just scraping by which goes to show how much these current world situations are affecting everyone. Then to add mental health on top of that. Well, I think we can both agree it is the definition of HELL!

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Most people in my cohort, myself included, have also thought about throwing the towel in. I think for me, the only thing getting me through the rest of this semester is knowing we are all in it together. And also upping my self-care and me time! Annnnd, trying not to beat myself up too much when I don't get the grades I usually do! Just remember to be kind to yourself. These are tough times and adding mental health to the list requires even more strength to push through, but from the few chats I had with you ages ago, I know you have it in you to keep going (if it's what you want of course). Hang in there <3

Highlighted

hey @Bee
im sorry I don't have much advice but I wanted to stop in and say that im here to listen and support you.
What your struggling with is actually the reason I dropped my online course only about 2 weeks ago now.
its so so difficult
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Thank you all for responding. It means a lot that you all want to support me. Heart

(ps. this is super long)

@Taylor-RO honestly I don’t think it would make a difference if I gave up study or not. I’d still feel stressed about it for a while. Longer term I know that I need to get through this course. From what I have seen in job adverts the roles I want they require or prefer you to have the Diploma level qualification, which makes sense I guess.

Writing out my options and impacts is very upsetting. Any time I think about any of it, I feel so useless and stupid that I cannot just get through it.

@hellofriend I think a pros and cons list might be helpful. I’ll try it.

It’s not possible to get my professional supports any closer in gaps to what they are at the moment. I am going back to monthly appointments with the psychiatrist and GP however. My GP said that we’d continue monthly check ins, given how I’ve struggled since I last saw her, we felt 2 months was too long. Apart from professional supports, I have a couple friends, but I don’t want to burden them with my life crisis thoughts and stuff. It wouldn’t feel fair considering everything they’re going through themselves.

My study space isn’t the most inviting or useable. I only have a small desk and it’s just not possible to have my laptop, textbook and a book to write in on it at once. I do have a portable desk but it’s too short. I did buy a portable laptop desk, so I’m hoping once I get that up it might help.

@MB95 I don’t think it’s the corona pandemic that has caused this. I was struggling with the course before then. I’ve been finding it so hard since I started, despite waiting anxiously to start.

I think it’s more a combination of feeling so shit internally, and because I’m already so stressed from work, it makes studying even harder. And the course is already harder than I thought it would be.

I feel like all I do it self-care and nothing improves. I’m all for self-care and while it does help at times, especially when for a moment I forget the impending doom my mind thinks I’m in; longer term I feel like it’s not addressing the issues at hand, but when it comes to actually addressing the issues I close up and refuse to let the things come to the surface. I don’t know if this makes sense or not.

@scared01 hugs I’m sorry to hear you dropped your course. Was it online study too?

I find I’ll go through a phase of really seeing no point in continuing and then I’ll understand one tiny thing and feel hopeful for an hour or a day or until I hit something that completely confuses me and I’m back to second guessing if I can do this. I question if I’m smart enough, or if it’s worth all the stress – like if I can’t handle the stress of the study, how will I even cope with the job? The psychiatrist said that once I’ve done it I’ll be able to look things up etc. but if I struggle to understand the basis of it, it’s not going to be very helpful having to try and decipher it every time I need to. It’s more worrying when these are what I assume to be core topics/ areas that I would need to know for where I want to go within the business/admin sector. Ugh it is just sooo confusing.

Highlighted

hey @Bee

yeah mine was online studies as well. I was doing 2 courses but dropped both.
do you have any teachers you can talk to if you get stuck?
I find that the more is stress and the more overwhelmed I get the less I understand it when all I really need to do is ask for help. once it is explained to me I find it can be much better and also set us back on the right path.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

@scared01 Yeah there are teachers, I just need to actually figure out what to ask them to help me understand. It's the tricky part of online study where you can't just ask for an extra lesson or ask questions because a textbook cannot rephrase its text.
I had to return the library book I had for this unit, so I have asked for another on loan, so I have to wait for that to come in the post.

I find that too. It's frustrating.

There's not a whole lot I can do until I get a new textbook in. I can go over my notes and try and figure out where I went wrong with this assessment that for hte 3rd time is wrong.

Highlighted

Hey @Bee - you're right in saying that it's currently quite difficult to ask for help given the current COVID crisis, particularly for courses that are quite practical.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying?

Highlighted

@Maddy-RO yeah it is. And in my case it's not just covid. I'm studying
online and I haven't had any contact from the teachers apart from when they
emailed me to say my assessment was wrong again.
I'm studying diploma of Accounting.
There's a lot more content than I first thought, and there's SO MANY
VARIABLES! Like my brain is spinning when first looking at it all.

(Email reply)