cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Loneliness

youve been super supportive @DruidChild its so great to see

@keezeik your studies sound cool and joining in with clubs sounds like a good idea too. i found the same thing with volunterring most were in their 50 or over. it was still good though.
i think its awesome youve linked in with the uni supports services even if one isnt very good with it. some uni are much more aware than others but at least you have one thats good Smiley Happy
hope the time with your family is going well today
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@scared01 definitely agree, volunteering is worth it regardless of what age the other volunteers are (same with my volunteering ahaha, they are mostly all around the age of 50+). Thank you Smiley Happy

lol yes i agree @keeziek
though its good when younger members join up too
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

How are you going today @keezeik

Yeah it’s ok today thank you Smiley Happy , the brain is a funny thing I feel because like you can have a lot going for you, but at the same time you can’t help but to feel sad when there isn’t any need to? 

hey @keezeik

i totally get you about feeling sad when nothing actually happened. glad you had an okay day Smiley Happy

hey, so I have currently moved into a new city overseas for my study abroad, I am only doing one subject at the moment this semester, but I am fairly busy with my university (3 hours a day). Anyhow, the people in my class keep to themselves most of the time, so it's hard to get to know them. As alternatives I have looked at some dating apps, and possibly going to join one of those meet group things to meet people. I am signing up for fitness classes so I can meet people. But I am still feeling alone, and idk what else to do apart from these things. Like is there anything else that I can do? Another issue is that I am actually not part of the university, the department that I am currently studying at isn't really part of the university, it is just on the campus, so it's a separate organisation on the uni. So that means I miss out on a lot of the stuff that happens there.

Hey @keezeik , amazing that you've gone ahead with the study abroad!!  

That's a shame that the people in your class keep to themselves -Is there anyone in the class that might be feeling similar to you? They might be super grateful if you reach out to them and ask to grab dinner or coffee or something? You could even try to organise a group lunch or something after class?

It sounds like you've been super proactive in doing so many other things to meet new people. 

The meet up groups is a good idea! 

Even though you're separate to the actual uni, is there a way for you to still connect with other international students, or events? Through fb events, or groups etc?

Sometimes joining a community like a church, or a political group - or even a food based group (like vegetarians) is a good way to hear about events, and meet new people. 

Facebook can be a good place to organised socially  - by looking for groups in your local area and joining them. 
Let us know how you go. 

Good on you for putting yourself out there, and trying all those things. I really hope they work out for you! 

@keezeik I've never lived overseas so I can only imagine how hard it must be, trying to deal with culture shock, meet new people and manage a uni subject all at the same time!

It sounds like you're pursuing lots of different avenues which is awesome! Smiley Happy
Are there many international students on campus? Or other students from your home uni here in Aus?

@lokifish no unfortunately i am the only one, and I am technically not part of the university and not a student as I am part of another organisation for languages which even though is on the main campus, it's separate from the university itself. I have managed to take part in some erasmus stuff which will help me meet people, as well as using tinder, her and bumble just to meet people - I did some research on it, and apparently it's really good idea to use that for studying abroad. @gina-RO I've joined some erasmus/exchange groups on facebook and hopefully I'll meet some nice people this weekend, as I will be traveling to another city with some other exchange students.