cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Lonely and just wanting someone to care..

Thanks @TOM-RO! I ended up spending my morning on a chat with my friend from uni and we talked through the assignment together and made a heap of dot points which has kind of helped. There's still things I want to run by my lecturer for advice but for some reason talking to her really scares me so I'm just going to wait and see how I go for now and if I can get by without her help 🤞

It does help - thanks! 😊 I'm trying really hard to give myself breaks when things become too overwhelming. My psych suggested to me a while ago to get up and go for a walk around campus when I feel myself slipping, so I do try and do that now. And I'm trying real hard to keep a schedule like you mentioned! Sometimes it all just becomes too much though and I really can't cope. But I'm getting better at noticing the triggers which is helping 👍

Thanks heaps for sharing all that info with me! I checked out the link too which explained it real well so thanks! I definately find it interesting and part of me really wishes I'd done the degree and started sooner considering how long it takes to become qualified. But I'm also enjoying OT and (this might sound silly) but I went into it so I could be a more hands on therapist? Like I just know from my own personal experiences with my mental health and my sessions with my psych that sometimes I just really need the hands on to get me motivated and physically doing what she's asking me to? Like she is AMAZING (too amazing really) so it's nothing against her and nothing against psychologists but I guess for me I'm a very hands on person and there's alot of stuff I find I'm not telling my psych e.g. about the state of my room (how messy it can get when I'm not in a good place), how I'll leave dishes around and things like that. She wouldn't know that, whereas if I worked as an OT in mental health I could do home visits and stuff and help more practically? Idk. I think maybe just because it's something I find I need that I want to help others that may need it too? Like my psych gives me homework and stuff to do but I REALLY struggle to do it and need someone there with me to do it? It's hard to explain and probably doesn't make much sense sorry 🙃

Highlighted

Hello @MB95, I am glad to hear that you were able to have a helpful chat with your friend about the assignment. I hope that helped to give you some new or different ideas and lifted some weight off your shoulders. It is also good to hear that you have been able to give yourself some breaks and that you have been supported throughout this by your psych. By the sounds of it, you have a lot of insight into your health and triggers, which is a really great quality to have Heart

I completely understand when you said that you were more interested in being a hands on therapist. I don't believe that psychology and mental health exists in a vacuum, I think that lots of career pathways (such as OT, GP's, and Nurses) intertwine with mental health. This means that a lot of different people can work together to help someone who may not be coping well psychologically. I think by looking at it this way, there is a whole team of professionals that do their part to help (this includes you as a future OT Smiley Happy )

Yes it is true that the journey to becoming a psychologist is quite long. I think this can put some people off, but I think peoples beliefs can change when you put things into perspective. I have told my sister (who is considering what career she should follow) that the amount of time spent studying shouldn't matter too much. Because when we think about it, we spend about 40+ years working in that career (eventually), so what is 5-6 years of studying compared to the amount of time spent working? I have also told her to choose a pathway that thinking about working in for the next 40+ years makes you happy about. I think it is important to make sure that you love what you do, because I believe happiness is a very important aspect in life. It sounds like you are very passionate and suited to OT and it sounds like it will be a very rewarding career for you. Heart
Highlighted

Thanks @TOM-RO 😊 I definately feel like I'm pretty aware of my health and triggers which I guess is probably a good thing but sometimes it just makes me feel worse when I can't seem to control it. It's like I know what I should and need to be doing but can't get myself to physically do it which is a pain! 

I couldn't agree more!! I know I 100% want to work in mental health, I'm just trying to work out if it'll be as an OT or a psychologist. We have a mental health subject next semester and I cannot wait!! I've been hanging out for it all year cause I'm hoping it'll help me with my decision to continue or switch over to psychology! 

It sounds like your sister is very lucky to have you with such great advice! I think you're going to make an awesome psychologist!! 😊