cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental health week makes me feel like a failure

So as I am sure most of you are aware there has been a lot of stuff being talked about around mental health. And don't get me wrong it is good people are talking but I can't shake this one thing..... yes it is important to give people hope that things can get better but no one ever talks about the people who don't get better. The people who continue to struggle severely. The people who are not ok even after treatment. And people keep saying this one person got help and they got better and now they are doing all this great stuff with their lives..... and that's great for them but it makes me feel like I am a huge failure because I haven't got better and I have been trying for over 10 years. And then people look at you like well if that person was fine after taking meds why can't you just be fine already. Like great I can't even be mentally ill the right way. I just feel like only talking about success stories it unrealistic and also harmful to those who do not live that as their reality. I could be alone feeling this way but I had to say it. Sorry if this offends anyone. 

Re: Mental health week makes me feel like a failure

Hey @Eden1717 that's a totally valid way to feel!! Even though hearing stories about recovery can inspire some people to seek help, it's absolutely right that there's no one-size fits all solution, and claiming that there is, is just plain untrue. Everyone's experience of mental illness is different!
I definitely wouldn't call you a failure for struggling for a long time, that sounds pretty brave to me.
I guess that's the really good thing about mental health week though, it's the perfect time to start talking about different perspectives on topics surrounding mental illness! 

Highlighted

Re: Mental health week makes me feel like a failure

Hi @Eden1717

You've mentioned trying for over 10 years, that automatically makes you not a failure. 

It takes a lot of strength and courage. 

Mental health is a journey, and I really think that a lot of people can relate to what you've written.