cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New episode of illness (tw)

Thanks @TOM-RO.

For a bit of background; my current psychologist is causing more harm than good, so I'm looking for a "replacement" long term therapist, which I was hoping to get through headspace.

Yesterday wouldn't have been counselling, it just would've been the initial assessment and getting all the forms signed.

I was more hoping that it'd start off the longer term counselling.

I have tried khl webchats. I don't find them very helpful, and they just end up referring me to headspace after about 30 minutes of them re-typing what I'm trying to explain. (I do understand how this might be useful as a way of validation. I'm also pretty sure that crisis lines are meant to do a bit more than just repeat my problems at me)

Because I have an.. "interesting" version of depression, I need longer term counselling rather than a crisis line; as most crisis lines have strongly implied to me. Smiley Indifferent

I was hoping that yesterday might be my chance to get that...

I'm still feeling a bit terrible honestly..

I really wasn't expecting my attempt to get help would just increase how quickly everything is getting worse.

@Tiny_leaf 

Thanks for clarifying the situation to me! Your right, it definitely does sound like long term face to face counselling would be more appropriate than crisis lines. I suppose crisis lines could be more of a back up plan if you need some momentary support, it can sometimes just be comforting hearing someone on the other end of the phone, and like you said, validating the distress you are in.

In terms of finding a replacement therapist, is there a possibility you could call your local Headspace centre to organise that? Or perhaps making a time in the future for your mum to take you to the centre? Sometimes our parents respond better to things like that when you give them notice. I really hope you are able to get there sometime soon, you deserve the support. Heart

@TOM-RO I can't really speak over the phone unfortunately..

And I've been trying that already - honestly it can be a little hard to get an "appointment" with my parents.

They're already unhappy with the time it takes driving me to appointments, they pointedly bring it up every time I ask to see a doctor.

It can take months for them to actually book the appointment.

I thought that if mum didn't have to put aside time just to drive me, she might let me get the appointment.

@Tiny_leaf  That's really awful. Smiley Sad I can understand why you were so hurt and upset. I can relate to feeling treated unfavourably in comparison to a sibling.

Is there any other way for you to go to Headspace? Uber or public transport could be options if you had a way of paying for them. Are other relatives or friends willing to come with you?

@WheresMySquishy not really... it's a 1km walk over rough/ hilly ground to the nearest bus stop. That would be easy enough, if my legs worked properly....

Uber's also not an option because of anxiety.

My extended family all live 40 minutes - 1 hour away, and my only irl friend's parents literally cannot afford to drive me to appointments while looking after for all their own kids.

So it's either waiting for my parents to take me, or waiting until my NDIS review and hoping they'll fund some sort of transport.

@Tiny_leaf  I see. Smiley Sad That's understandable.

It would be good if there was a way for you to get access to transport given your mobility issues.

@WheresMySquishy yeah, it would...

It's so hard to get the NDIS to give anything though...

@Tiny_leaf  That's so true. We're still waiting for the NDIS to get back to us about my sister. They are so slow and it's hard to get them to fund essential things. Smiley Sad

@WheresMySquishy I somehow found myself thrust into the NDIS the month I was diagnosed with ASD. It was a busy month...

One thing that I wish I had before getting onto the NDIS was a support coordinator (here's an example http://mysupports.com.au/) If your family can temporarily fund one, they can be really helpful in figuring out how to argue a case, and after that the NDIS can fund it - assuming they do their job of course. Smiley Frustrated

Atm I would need a full time job to just fund the service dog training... 

You may have guessed that I can't exactly manage a full time job...

But I have about a 1% chance of funding being approved. Smiley Sad

@Tiny_leaf  Sounds like it!
That sounds really helpful! We've just been trying to organise it through the hospital, but the problem is some of the team is actually against us getting certain things because according to them, it would 'reinforce the disability'. Smiley Frustrated The OT agrees with us though.

Having a service dog can be so expensive. Smiley Sad I have seen them change lives though. They can make a huge impact for the better. Yet the NDIS would rather fund pseudoscientific treatments... Smiley Sad