cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: New years stress:/

hey @Stagnator, sorry to hear you've had a rough morning Smiley Sad

it's great that you called Mensline and that talking to someone on there was helpful though!

is there anything you can do tonight to feel a bit better?

Highlighted

Idk, honestly, I feel like being around people who I don't really want to will make me feel more alone. Its too late to find a friend. Everyone is already out partying. All I can do is play some games and sleep through it. Pretend it's just like any other day
Highlighted

@Stagnator, I totally get not wanting to feel alone in a crowd, it just feels worse than being myself and feeling lonely sometimes. Maybe it sort of exacerbates that loneliness seeing others having a good time together?

Do you know if there's someone else not out partying tonight who you might be able to call and chat with?

Highlighted

Phone counsellors are all I know. My mum is at home but I saw her earlier. I don't know what we would talk about
Highlighted

I'm embarrassed not to be out. I'm 21 and I don't know how to go out and have a good time anymore
Highlighted

@Stagnator, do you feel like talking to anyone about how you're feeling at the moment?

yeah, it does feel like a lot of people this age are out partying and stuff but I'm sure not everyone is! 

in your first post you mentioned that it is possible to celebrate with the right friends. maybe in the coming year this could be something you can work on? like asking to hang out with them and have a good time Smiley Happy it's scary to ask without being invited (maybe from fear of rejection, which i totally get), but i guess if you never try, you'll never know! it seems like you get along with these friends, is that how it is?

Highlighted

Yeah but we we only seem to get along when I'm invited. I've invited some people over but usually met with rejection. I don't want to invite myself to their house or their parties. I just barely have my life on a normal track let alone managing barely functioning friendships. Idk who I can talk to about this stuff right now other than reach out right now though
Highlighted

Plus the friend I get on with doesn't go out regularly. We just hang out at his house sometimes. He goes out to parties where there are people who I can't be around though
Highlighted

@Stagnator, being met with rejection is tough, sorry about that Smiley Sad i can understand why you don't feel like asking to come over to others' places and parties 

thanks for sharing how things with been on RO - we're always here to support you if you need Smiley Happy

friendships can take some effort, but it does sound like you want to go out more and have fun at parties. it's great that you have a friend you can connect with Smiley Happy maybe you could ask him if you could start hanging out with him at a party and slowly get to know the others more? it is difficult if they are triggers though... do you think he could be someone you could talk to about this? 

and just to let you know, i'll be logging off soon 
Highlighted

That's okay, I didn't expect you to stay all night. I don't think I can go to the same parties as anyone I already know. The group of old school friends has stayed quite close and it's those that I'm afraid to be around. After my previous breakup a lot of negative conversations went around, I'm scared to face them