cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Normal mood vs a problem

Hi, i was wondering if there was a way to tell the difference between a normal mood and a problem. Ive been treated for depression before but my moods switch very weirdly now without an explanation. This has been happening since around this time last year now. Plz help me out ty

Highlighted

Re: Normal mood vs a problem

Hi @BrixtonStation 

This is a great question to bring to the forums and I think something that a lot of people might be able to relate to including me!

Is there any more detail you can give us about how you've been feeling? When you say switch very weirdly are you going from being happy to very sad and hopeless or anxious? Are you getting irritated easily? 

It is certainly hard to navigate changing feelings when you feel like there is not an explanation for changes in mood. Have you experienced anything difficult in the last couple of months? How are you coping with the pandemic?

Is there a trusted friend, adult, or person in your life that you feel comfortable chatting to? Otherwise, another option might be to speak to your GP about how you are feeling. They are a good first point of contact and can assess if what you are experiencing might be affecting you negatively. There is also no shame in also speaking to a psychologist if you personally feel like you are experiencing changes in mood that are not normal for you. If you were having problems with a sore back you would go to a chiropractor. I think mental health should be no different, and if you are having problems with your mood you can absolutely speak to a psychologist if you feel like you need it. 

Highlighted

Yeah, from happy to sad but i am confused because it is not normal happy, idk if that makes sense. Like i cant sleep, my thoughts race very fast, and im so good to the point i am shaking sometimes and cant sit still. You probably think it sounds really weird cahse its unusual loll, but im.not sure, then a few days later some weird switch happens and i feel like i cant move at first and i feel depressed and empty as and i cant talk for a while. 

Yeah i get irritated easily too, it sucks.

Tbh the pandemic hasnt bothered me at all, well because thats how i live my life anyway haha. I havent experienced anything difficult. 

Thanks, i guess ill try to work up the courage to go to a gp or something but its hard to go cause ill need to talk to my parents and stuff. But im just wondering if its worth going hence wjy i asked how normal it was to feel like this. I guess i should try soon, i might see if it stops or i see improvements. Ive felt fine for a week now, like sometimes i feel really stable for a short time and then the whole thing starts again?? 

Highlighted

Hi @BrixtonStation, to me that definitely sounds like something to be confused and concerned about, especially since you're finding it weird yourself! I have bipolar so my mood is all over the place, it can go from super elated to absolutely devastated in a very short time and is particularly sensitive to stresses in my environment. My psychiatrist has me do mood charts so she can map whether or not there are any patterns, or whether it's been too extreme and I should be concerned about it. It's the same for a friend of mine who has anxiety who needs to track what things stress her out in particular, and I've also seen ones used for depression. Maybe you could try to fill one out for a week or two before your appointment, and that might give you a bit more confidence to explain how you've been feeling to a professional? There is an app called eMoods on iPhone which you could try, otherwise Black Dog has a mood chart which I personally like. I hope that helps a bit!

Highlighted

Hey @BrixtonStation I just read through this and thought youzdscvb might be interested in submitting some questions for a live chat we are having with a psychologist about emotions. You can find the thread here

Highlighted

Hi @BrixtonStation,
I think we can't give a diagnosis on that, but for me, I will decide on whether it influences severely my functioning, like my study, relationships, daily life and sorts of stuff.
As @Bre-RO suggested, I think you can asked a psychologist for that because they can see that professionally.
Highlighted

Hi @BrixtonStation! How are you doing?
It can be hard to differentiate between what's 'normal' and what could potentially be a sign of a problem. I also find it confusing myself. Something that has personally helped me is tracking my mood. For me, when I've been experiencing a low mood for weeks on end, that could be a sign that I'm not okay. There are lots of apps that you can use to record your mood, or you could write it down. When I record my mood, I often try to reflect about what factors contributed to my feelings. I have also found apps that ask questions about how I'm feeling helpful.

Highlighted

Hi @BrixtonStation 👋

I hope you're feeling okay today. Good on you for reaching out here - the forums are such a wonderful place to speak freely about what's going on! 

It does sound like you've got alot going on with your emotions at the moment, so it's no wonder you're feeling confused. 

I can totally relate to feeling a bit overwhelmed and worried about seeing a professional, but the one piece of advice I would like to give you is - please don't leave it as long as I did to seek help. It's scary and can feel odd and like you might be over thinking things, but you will only know what's going on once you allow yourself to recieve the help you deserve. 

I have no doubts you have that courage within you so I encourage you to draw upon it and make an appointment with your GP. Even if it turns out to be nothing, at least you'll have peace of mind right? 

Just wondering if there is anything about talking to your parents you're finding difficult cause I noticed you mentioned you'd need to talk to them first? We are here to listen and help as best we can so if you need any support with seeking help don't be afraid to ask. 💙