cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Not sure what to do

Lately I haven't been having the best of times and I don't know what I should do. I haven't been able to sleep properly, I occasionally lose my appetite, I have lost interest in things I loved to do, I haven't been happy in a while, I break down crying most nights, I alienate myself from friends and family, I've thought about self-harming and getting out of here being the way to get away from all of this pain. I don't know when all of this first started but several things have been affecting it such as stress & being alone(while I do want to be alone at times others I just want to see people). I am not sure what I am to do at all and I have had enough of just about anything. Does anyone have anything that could possibly help me?

Re: Not sure what to do

Hey @Bookworm2004 I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, it sounds like things are really tough for you at the moment. I think you've already done one of the biggest things that can help and that's simply asking for help and seeking support Heart

I've found a couple of RO articles which you might also find helpful. One is about mental health issues  and the other is about 6 ways to get help for Mental Health issues. Is this the first time you've really spoken to anyone about what's going on for you or are you currently chatting to someone (psych, counselor, helpline)? If not this might be the best next step to take, particularly as you've been thinking about self-harm and feeling like you need to get away from the pain.

I'll pop some helpline info below for you, because it might be helpful to save / bookmark them into your phone, so that if you ever feel unsafe or in crisis you can call them straight away:

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800

Lifeline 13 11 14

eheadspace 

This is the first time I have really talked about it to anyone @Erin-RO. Seeing someone would probably be a good idea but I get a bit nervous when it comes to talking about things like this. I'm not good with talking in general.

(continuing on from the first thing I put here)

I didn't think much of it when it first started but it has been progressing for a while until it became really bad. normally the my days range from not really that bad to the point where I sit and all I can think about is getting out.  I have helped friends who have had really bad days and depend on me when something is wrong so I try to seem fine when they come to see me but when they notice and ask me if I am okay I lie to their faces so they don't start worrying about me. They already have their own problems on their shoulders and they don't need mine too. 

I can definitely understand being a bit nervous to go chat to someone @Bookworm2004. It can feel pretty daunting but just remember mental health supporters like psychs or counselors chat to people all day about this type of stuff and making someone feel comfortable and heard is part of their job... 

It sounds like your friends have noticed somethings wrong and even though you've said you're fine, I'd say they probably have a sense that you're not??? I know you may feel like you're burdening them by sharing with them what's been going on but I'm not sure that's how it would go... Do you feel burdened when you support your friends?

And importantly: What advice would you give a friend who was going through a similar situation?

hi @Bookworm2004
things sounds really tough for you at the moment, well done on seeking some extra support for yourself. i second everything @Erin-RO has said here as well.
Do you think you could seek some support from a teacher, gp, uni counsellor or other trusted person even a friend or family member (even though i know talking to anyone is super tough!) but you dont have to go through it alone and perhaps with people understanding you and guiding you offline youll be able to cope abit more too.
KHL and Headspace are both good services as well to have a talk too
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

I'm not too sure what advice I would give them @Erin-RO. My friends, when they come to me for advice, normally have a reason behind what they are feeling but I don't think I do. Nothing really started all of this that I am feeling and u have no idea on how to stop feeling like this. I'm not the biggest fan of talking to people about my problems especially this because I think they will treat me differently and they don't need to. I don't want to be known as 'that person' or anything else and if I do tell someone I am worried it will spread and people will start crowding me to ask if I am okay.

Hey @Bookworm2004, I think it can be really hard to pinpoint a reason behind how you have been feeling.. particularly when you have felt that way for a while or are not used to talking about how you feel. I can tell you are worried about people treating you differently. Do you treat your friends differently after having learnt about how they feel? Often family and friends can realise our reality and provide valuable support. If you did tell your friends, you could clarify how they can best support you (e.g not constantly asking how you are/not treating you differently etc). It can be really uncomfortable telling anyone about our deepest thoughts and feelings but it is important you speak to someone. You don't have to do it alone which can add to the weight on your shoulders. Some of the services @scared01 suggested are a really great place to start with a sense of confidentiality, anonymity and no judgement. What do you think? Are any of these relevant for you? Heart

hi @Bookworm2004 how are you holding up
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

I'm going alright. Still feel a bit down some times or I just feel nothing at all. I've now got  a lot of stress from all of my assessment coming up at the same time. I've been getting a bit more sleep so I'm not as tired as I was.

@Bookworm2004 nice to hear from you Smiley Happy 

Assessment stress can be really hard this time of year.. glad to hear you're prioritizing sleep, it makes a big difference hey. 

Do you have anything nice planned for when your assessments are all in? I always like to plan a reward or treat for myself for getting through.