cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Not sure what to do

Hey @MB95 and welcome back after your short break Smiley Happy

After reading your two most recent posts, it is evident to me that you really care for your family, and I think they're really lucky to have someone like you in their life. Heart

I'm glad to hear that you're finding ReachOut so useful. You're right, we really do have a bunch of amazing users who really listen and support each other. It's quite an amazing space. I've noticed you providing wonderful support to other users on here, so you definitely reflect that welcoming/supportive/caring vibe that the ReachOut community has. 

You mentioned using ReachOut to help you get through the next few weeks without your psych. I'm wondering... what else can you do to keep yourself busy during this time?

You mentioned you aren't to keen on helplines, which is completely fine. Something that is a similar but different to helplines is this service called FriendLine - they aren't a crisis support or counselling service so can't support you in that way, but are available for a friendly chat if you need one. See their contact details and operating times here

We also have some threads that could help with ideas to keep you busy too such as 1000001 distractions and coping strategies here, and getting on top of self care here. It is probably a good idea for you to focus on doing some things you enjoy over the next few weeks. Some ideas may include baking, walking, hiking, origami, drawing, painting, cleaning or reorganizing your room, shopping, going to the library, getting a massage, reading your favourite book or reading a new book, catching up with friends, watching tv shows/movies etc. Lots of these ideas are already listed in the threads linked above Smiley Happy. Do any of these ideas resonate with you?

Highlighted

Thanks @Maddy-RO, I'm glad to be back 😊 Things are still pretty meh for me, but for some reason I always find that helping others on here kinda helps improve my own mood so in a weird way it's helping me get by and is a nice distraction. 

Thanks heaps for sharing those links. I have never heard of FriendLine before but it does sound like it might be more suited to me. Idk, sometimes I just really wish I had one good friend I could call and chat to about everything. I usually just want someone to listen and not shove advice down my throat or try to fix it. I know it's something I need to fight on my own and in my own ways but sometimes it would just be nice to have someone to share my experiences with. Like idk, at the moment I feel like my psych is the only person I have in my corner so whenever things (good or bad) happen for me she's the person I want to tell which I know isn't exactly appropriate 🙃 So it's just sucky I won't be seeing her for a while. 

As for things to keep me busy in the meantime.. I have some workbooks and strategies etc. that my psych wants me to try and work on so I'm hoping to have a go at those while I've got the time away from uni. I'm just struggling at the moment because I'm getting the vibe my family don't want to leave me alone so they keep planning things for us to go and do. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate they want to spend time with me and keep me busy while I'm home, but I also just want some alone time and am not quite sure how to ask for it without upsetting or worrying them.. I also obviously don't want them catching me working on any of this stuff because they don't know anything yet.. 

I do like the idea of most of your suggestions so thankyou - it's just trying to find the time and mostly the energy to do them. Sometimes I am just so exhausted I can't get myself out of bed. And especially after doing things with my family during the day, I often come home and am just so physically and mentally exhausted I just lie down and chill. Like now, I'll usually just log on here and respond to peoples messages. Even then, I'm often drained from doing that 🙃 

I really am trying but sometimes I just feel like things are too hard. 

Highlighted

Hi MB95,
Things can be very hard sometimes and it is ok to feel that way. It is great that you are giving yourself some time to relax.
Highlighted

Hi @MB95, a lot of people can relate to just wanting to have a friend to chat to. From what you've said, it sounds like Friend Line might be very helpful for you! If you give it a try, do let us know how you go. It is amazing that you have some strategies to get through this holiday period and visit with your family. Wanting to have your alone time is pretty normal and we all feel like this at times Heart It sounds like it is pretty important to you, given you are feeling drained and exhausted. As it is common, your parents are likely to also have times where they want to be alone. How would you feel letting them know your feelings around this? You could also suggest activities that are more relaxing and independent. Having this kind of conversation may also open up a conversation about your mental health, which I know has been something you have been thinking about. It definitely can be very draining to respond to others, so you are always welcome to take a break or keep things short Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@MB95 that is understandable, I know sometimes I feel it so hard to balance between supporting others and seeking support for myself, one thing I try to do is to look at what I’m feeling and determine what I need if I need support or conversation from other users I try to ascertain what I’m seeking... friendly conversation – hanging out is the place. Support or conversation from people who feel similar and just life chat tough times is the place.
But if I just need to get it off my chest and work through it myself, I find Turning Negatives to Positives to be a helpful exercise, and then I try to use other toolbox threads to help.

Heart I get it, and that’s kind of where I’ve been the last couple days, in a space where I just don’t know if fighting is worth it. But there’s that part of me that knows that life isn’t all smooth sailing and that tough times will happen, and they happen for everyone. No one has a picture-perfect life 100% of the time – it’s just not realistic.
I’m sorry to hear your family has been a trigger for you. Heart

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

Thanks @Wathan 😊

Thanks @Taylor-RO, I think my parents have caught on at how easily I become exhausted because they haven't been pushing me as much the last couple days which has been nice. I feel guilty that mum and I just sat around the house most of the day yesterday because I'm not here for long, but I just don't physically have the energy to do anything. Plus it's rediculously hot here so makes it even worse! They've asked if I want to help renovate my grandads house, and I do because it's not fair on them to be doing it all, but I'm also dreading it because last time I tried everyone was calling me lazy because I wasn't doing as much as them. Like they were saying it all in a joking way but it still really hurt because I just wished I had their energy!! Anyway, I've tried to warn them that I'll need a day or two of nothing before I do help out. So hopefully I can muster up some energy💪

Thanks @Bee, I do need to start using some of those other chats a bit more. I loved the Xmas gifs one the other day because they're just great ways to take my mind off things and have a laugh with like minded people. 😊❤

Highlighted

@MB95 when you're ready Smiley Happy
The xmas gif thread is amazing! So many awesome ones! We also have a gif/meme thread in hanging out too! They are fun too! Smiley Very Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

Hey guys, 

I've been feeling pretty shitty lately and really struggling to get on top of things so I decided to spend yesterday and today reading over everyones messages again. I'm so sick of feeling this way and just want to be normal!!!! 

I'm finding it really difficult not being able to contact my psych at the moment and just feeling pretty alone with everything because of it. Like I'm fine, I'm surrounded by my family but they don't know about my mental health or anything so I just keep finding myself wanting to call my psych to talk things out. 

Spending yesterday and today alone has kinda helped a bit though and left me with some time to reflect which has been nice. 

While I was reading through all your amazing responses I took note of a lot of it in my phone, and also made this to add to my folder so thought you guys might like to see it 😊

I don't know why, but I just felt like sharing it with you all to let you know I really am trying hard to fight and that your messages of support mean a lot to me. I really am trying hard to take on everyones amazing advice!!!

So I just wanted to say thankyou. Reading your messages back has reminded me I am not alone in this and that there is so much I can do to help pull myself out.

Honestly, THANK YOU.

This community is amazing. ❤

20191228_150756.jpg

P.S. I hope you guys can all benefit from everyones advice I wrote down too!! 😊

Highlighted

Awww @MB95 I really love your post! That's so lovely and genuinely made me smile. You have quoted/written down two suggestions that I gave you! I love that you have found many of our suggestions helpful Heart

Writing down suggestions like you have is a really good idea to remind yourself of how to cope when feeling down. It acts as a great reminder when one's thoughts are becoming too overwhelming. I absolutely loved the advice "practice difficult conversations with your dog first - they're great listeners" - it made me giggle... and it's accurate too. Your dog will listen, ESPECIALLY if you have food in your hands. You'll have their full attention. 

upside down dog GIF

Highlighted

Thanks @Maddy-RO, I'm glad you like it 😊 I just thought it would be something helpful I could look at quickly, rather than needing to scroll through to find what you guys suggested. I have the WORST memory so I'm hoping this will make it easier for me when I'm feeling really overwhealmed. 

You all had so many helpful suggestions!! The others I wrote down are from @Alison5 @Bee @TOM-RO @Jess1-RO but I also wrote a heap of things into my phone from so many others! It was just really nice to read back over and reflect on them, so thanks guys.

I've been feeling really off and alone lately but I could feel the support through all your messages so just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it ❤ And now that I physically have things written down, it's a small reminder that I'm not alone like I feel I am. 

The dog one is great hey @Maddy-RO ? 😂 I also LOVE your GIF! 😍