cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Fluctuating Emotions - what's going on?

Hi. So this has been bugging me for a really long time and something I have been considering over the past few years. I get fluctuating emotions...all the time. I would say that some times they are sudden changes but sometimes it'll be more like just in the morning i'll feel "xx" and then later i'll feel "xx". And then sometimes the periods of time are longer, like a few days or a week etc. I know it is normal to experience different feelings obviously depending on what happens in your day and stuff like that.

But I think I am noticing a pattern and I don't understand. It doesn't always stick to this pattern but it really frustrates me. So basically every month about 2 weeks before my period and leading up to my period I start to feel really low (like depressed and more anxious and irritated - general PMS stuff) but bad, like I really can't handle simple things some times. And I dread it every month because I know during "x" and "x" dates i'll feel stressed and depressed.

And then sometimes (and this is at any time during the month) i'll feel great, like really really good and motivated and happy and I don't get any negative thoughts, it's almost euphoric type feeling and then it turns into the opposite. I feel like there is something wrong with me some times. I really don't know. Usually I feel really good after my period for maybe a week, it varies and I cannot remember specifically but it is a vague idea of how I am.

My boyfriend told me that he definitely thinks I have mental health issues (not in a mean or accusing way) but because he doesn't know anyone who gets so stressed and anxious over things like I do.... and sometimes I feel like a bad person because I don't feel like I can control this. It just happens and it makes me feel like an idiot because I can't control my emotions - or I get these intrusive thoughts for absolutely no reason and I have to convince myself why I am even bothering with working and living and yeah..you get it right? Why is this happening to me? Is there something wrong with me? help please 

Re: Ongoing Fluctuating Emotions - what's going on?

Hi @mspaceK, that sounds really hard...

You're not alone with the period stuff..

Periods can affect mental illnesses a lot, my depression used to get heaps worse around my period. There's also a specific mental illness that is basically extreme PMS symptoms, maybe that's worth looking into?

Those things can be signs of a mental illness, but I can't give a diagnosis...

If you're looking for one (they can help you understand why you feel like this) you could talk to a gp or a mental health professional. 

They also might be helpful in understanding the patterns that your mood follows.

Intrusive thought happen to a lot of people, and though they're horrible they aren't your fault. They are something you get, not something you do to yourself.

I hope that some of this was helpful in some way. Take care. 

Thank you for this @Tiny_leaf . I suppose I'll need to talk to my GP at some point. It is so frustrating. At least I have my psych appointment next week. I should bring it up and see what he thinks. 

I have an upset tummy tonight. Smiley Sad i keep waking up and needing the bathroom it is really frustrating because I have work today in 3 hours from now. Hopefully these feelings will pass and I'll be able to sleep. 

I did have a weird dream before I woke up! It was about Game of Thrones and a war that is coming. It felt super real! And scary. I am excited for the new episodes. Smiley Happy 

hey @mspaceK

Periods can have that sort of affect on people unfortunatly and ive heard is actually pretty common. I get abit like that only im more depressed/stressed during the entire cycle. I wonder if you would be ok in talking to your gp about this? ive heard that sometimes it can be a hormonal imbalance and this can be treated with some medications like contraception stuff to balance out your hormones on an everyday scale. im not diagnosing you btw and it might not be this way for you but thought id meantion it as i have heard it from others and by having a chat with their gp and going on a medication (the one that suits them the most) they actaully feel abit better.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Have a look at premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) @mspaceK it may relate to how your feeling

I think you're right with the whole hormonal imbalance thing @scared01 and it really sucks that yours gets you down the whole cycle. I hate that I am so up and down all the time. I'll do some research but i know it isn't good to self diagnose so i guess ill have to bring it up with my GP. I used to be on contraception and anti depressants a few years ago and i got really bad headaches and felt nauseous. Maybe because i was on both at the same time and they weren't working well togetger.  My GP and khl counselor and headspace nurse have all talked to me about possibly trying a new one I'm just anxious about it and having to pay money for ongoing medication. Maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe it is what i need. I don't know Smiley Sad 

i can understand that @mspaceK
having that ongoing payments of medications can be quite overwhelming. might be worth having a look at PMDD and having a chat with your gp about something that might help could be a good idea. perhaps it mightnt be a medication might be an implant thing or something else. theres many options out there now

Thank you for giving me this information @scared01 . I'll look into it. Smiley Happy 

your welcome @mspaceK

*sigh* and here comes negative feelings. I feel like crap for no reason. I feel unmotivated and bored all at once. And I can feel my test getting a bit tight like i'm anxious, but I don't know what I am anxious about. *sigh*