cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PTSD support thread

I take medication for both my my generalised anxiety and Ptsd, so that sorta allows me to learn different strategies and gain skills without my brain takings over toooo much.
I'm learning
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Such a great thread @scared01! I too have PTSD and have had it since I was 10 years old. I think some of the misconceptions about PTSD is just who can get it and how it affects their lives. Sometimes I've found people to be surprised that I have PTSD because it doesn't seem like I am affected. My best advice is to avoid your triggers, get support from a professional to work through the issue that has caused the PTSD and to look after yourself.

im still trying to find the right mix of mediations. ive been on 2 different sorts but not much luck with them as yet so ive jsut started another one which i hope will hel, with the help of my psychitrist that is @j95

@SmileMonkey yes i too think that as well. you would look at me and think there was nothing wrong what so ever and ehen ive meantioned metal illness not jsut ptsd but any of the other ones as well the reactionalmsot shocked like really

i often wonder what people with MI are 'suppose' to look like with most of the reactions i get

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

hmm i dont think there is really a psycial chareceteristic,
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

me either @j95

but when i meantion MI i get those look like oh ok like they were expecting someone with an MI to look like something else

I sometimes get weird looks in public during episodes, panic attacks, flash backs and distress.
I look paranoid, I mutter to myself, I touch my face a lot, I walk really fast, etc so I guess I show signs of my mi.
I also show my scars in public during summer so that's another way you can see.

Also managing ptsd is hard, some days are better than others. Flash backs are the worst and I'm not good at coping with them.
Anyone got tips on flashbacks?
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead yes tips on flashbacks most definitely needed! Anyone with lived experience feel free to add something Smiley Happy

A friend of mine living with PTSD sent me some tips similar to this once - 

1. Ease back into your body. Fear launches us into 'heady' worrying, or numbing and spacing out.

[a] Gently ask your body to Relax: feel each of your major muscle groups and softly encourage them to relax. (Tightened musculature sends unnecessary danger signals to the brain)

[b] Breathe deeply and slowly. (Holding the breath also signals danger).

[c] Slow down: rushing presses the psyche's panic button.

[d] Find a safe place to unwind and soothe yourself: wrap yourself in a blanket, hold a stuffed animal, lie down in a closet or a bath, take a nap.

[e] Feel the fear in your body without reacting to it. Fear is just an energy in your body that cannot hurt you if you do not run from it or react self-destructively to it.

Im still learning to control those too esp in public @redhead i probably look very strange to others. But guess what even during these panic attacks my mother still doesnt give a crap. I think she tries to get away from me

Thanks for the tips @Bree-RO

@Bree-RO thanks for the tips. I have not been diagnosed with PTSD. But, I have anxiety most of the time but at different levels. It's difficult to explain, but it's kind of like different levels of tightness in my chest.

The past year I have really started to get it under control, and I've found that visualising my stressor outside of my brain really helps. If I visualise, for example, an argument I had with someone, and take it out side of my brain and see it in front of me. It makes me feel like a fly on the wall and the emotions attached to that image are taken out of my brain to.

Whoops, that was very long winded! But that is my method of reducing anxiety. Some people think it is strange, but it works for me Smiley Happy

Thats actually pretty clever @Karinaskii Smiley Happy
I never thought it from that point of view