cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Possible eviction

ok so i talked to my housemate and now i understand a little more they have given us a notice to vacate but that isn't an eviction notice, is the right? thats the bit i don't get, do we have to get out or not haha lol he said he had to get out but like legally we haven't been evicted so idk
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

if we have to leave  i don't know where I'm going to go

@j95 it doesn't sound like it's all over just yet for the tenancy. BUT it's really important to get some solid legal advice about this from someone who's a profesh. Have a read of this for a bit more detail and then give them a buzz. Also i'd note that that page says that a notice to vacate doesn't mean you are getting evicted. It's just saying you should get out. They have to go to a tribunal to make you leave. So if you need a bit more time to find a place, you could do that. You might also be able to get some help to fix the issues, although yeah it sounds like you might have to because you have the dogs.

But you gotta seek some advice about all this! We're not experts on tenancy law and there could be all sorts of stuff we don't know about that could seriously mess you up Smiley Frustrated

Yeah thats kind of what i was thinking, so like a notice to vacate is like kind of like "you should probably get out and if you don't i'll take it further and someone will come and make you leave" pretty much ?
I will a look at that website

I can't say for sure cause i'm not a lawyer. There's also some requirements around how you say "no i am not moving yet" to the landlord in a way that's legal, if that's what they say you can do. So i'd probably ask them a few questions about that so you can figure out a plan and work out where to go next too! 

Ok so I just spoke to my mentors, absolutely worse case scenario I can stay there but I think that would be a last resort

Glad you've got the option of staying with your mentors @j95. How has the situation been over the past few days?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

hey @j95, I would strongly recommend contacting the Tenants Union Victoria (https://www.tuv.org.au/) for advice if you are in Victoria as they should be able to give you some more info about your options. If you're not in Victoria, I'm sure there are other local tenancy organisations or free legal advice hotlines. There is also the Aboriginal Legal Service, which operates in Victoria, ACT and NSW.

I just remembered something, I might not be able to stay at the mentors house with my dogs

I can't leave my dogs behind