cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems

Hi, New to ReachOut but I'm going through a tough time at the moment & I don't know who to talk to. For as long as I can remember my dad has been completely horrible to my mum when i was young, I didn't understand but now I do and the stuff he calls her is horrible & my mum deserves the world but it just breaks my heart to see her cry. Over the last year i have lost all respect for my dad and i am ashamed that he is my father. A few nights ago he threw something at my mum and i snapped at him but i was just overcome with this overwhelming rage at him and i just wanted to inflict as much pain as i could on him because i hated him so much for hurting my mum. i dont know what to do, i have to go to school and pretend to be happy and i think something is wrong with me for thinking that. i just dont think i can keep living like this.

Re: Problems

I just want some advice on how to handle the situation because I feel like I won;t be able to make any rational decisions when I am angry

Hi @annabethxchase 

Welcome to ReachOut! Sounds like there's a lot going on at home at the moment, and it must be really hard to have to see your mum go through something like this. Do you have anyone you could talk to about this? like friends or teachers? I would encourage you to contact 1800 Respect (1800 737 732) https://www.1800respect.org.au/

Do you feel safe around Dad? @annabethxchase  

Thanks for message. Yes, I am safe I highly doubt that he would do anything to physically hurt me

@annabethxchase there's a lot going on for you at the moment and it can be so hard to see someone you really care about go through a really rough time. Who do you turn to for support? 

I talk to my mum & It sounds stupid - but I find talking to someone who doesn't talk but or judge you is great. My dogs are very good at this apart from the occasional snore or sigh. That way I can just rant while they comfort me which is surprisingly great...

hey @annabethxchase

im so sorry you’re going through this Smiley Sad i would recommend some self-care when your dad does something ❤️ that’s so good you talk to your dog - judgement free ! like @TOM-RO i would recommend you talk to 1800 respect

how are you feeling now ? 

Hey, Just finished chat with 1800respect but they said mostly same stuff that eheadspace did, I don't have many people to talk to because I go to a christian school where a lot of people have grownup very shielded (no problem with that) and that means they wouldn't get it. I'm doing Ok, just doing a ton of math homework

at least you gave 1800 respect a go ! @annabethxchase

naw that’s a shame about your school, do you have a counsellor there ? homework is a pain, isn’t it !

@annabethxchase I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this

I don't have anything else to add, but I thought I'd link you to some articles which may be helpful for you Smiley Happy

domestic violence support

domestic violence and what you can do about it

signs of an abusive relationship

how to be awesome at self care

Next weeks Getting Real: SCAVENGER HUNT RO STYLE!
Don't forget to practice self-care regularly!