cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

School, home and expectations

Hello there, it’s been a while since I last posted here.

As of recently, I have had a move from my mum’s house to my dad’s; which includes transferring schools. This is what is getting to me the most. My moods have not been all to great ariund everyone, I now see a psychiatrist every Friday to help manage and describe my feelings but I still have a lot of progress to go before I will feel happy again.

Due to the move of schools, my results will be esentially be only the time I’ve actually been here. That means that I have technically have already failed but redemtion tasks are available. The increased pressure to complete school and be prepared for exams within Year 11 (currently Year 11) and 12.

This adds to my emotions, by putting more stress on me than ever. And my dad is constantly pushing me into working on school and ways of nit having distractions is a distraction in his eyes. This puts a lot on me about how I feel about myself and how my dad sees me; if I am not doing work, I feel like I’m a failure to him in my eyes, and further pushing emotions out.

Trying to talk to my dad about my emotions is hard, because of that sorta focus on him and what he’s thinking of me. This was the same with my mum and stepdad however its ever increasing hold on me has a grasp so tight, it’s forcing me ti do things I shouldn’t.

I don’t know anymore, stress, depression and anxiety are practically controlling my life to the point I have experienced before. And I don’t wanna go there again,

Highlighted

Re: School, home and expectations

Hi @Jeplar thanks for sharing with us. It sounds like you are having a tough time and a lot of change happening with moving house and schools as well as pressure from your parents. It's great that you are getting support from your psychiatrist. As the stress and pressure you feel is related to school, I'm wondering if there is a Counsellor at your new school you are able to talk to? Perhaps they can provide strategies to assist with your transition, communicating with your parents and/or ways to manage the work load and pressures involved with that. What are some ways you've been looking after yourself during these times? We're here to listen and support you Heart

Highlighted

Hey @Jeplar, thanks for sharing and i'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough time at the moment. I totally agree with @Lan-RO - seeing a councellor in school is a super good idea. I did that when I was in grade 10 and I was having issues in school and you'd be surprised with the amount of help they can give you. In my situation I was able to get help with deadlines on instances where I was stressed that I wouldn't get the work in on time. It's definitely a good idea to get someone inside school to back your corner, especially if that's where you're feeling a lot of that stress. Do you think that'd be something that would be possible? Let me know how everything goes Smiley Happy

- BoM
Highlighted

Hey @basketofmonkeys and @Lan-RO On the mention of the school concellor, I have seen them and that’s why I’m seeing the psychiatrist.
Highlighted

Hi @Jeplar,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through a lot. School and family pressures are definitely things that a lot of people can relate to. It can be really hard when you're trying your best but you feel the pressure.
Have the psychiatrist sessions been helping? It's really good that you've been seeing them.
How are you feeling today?
Here for you Heart
Highlighted

Hey @missep,

The best psychiatrist sessions are helping me quite a bit but I still have my major ups and downs. I’m feeling alright today however, my emotions feel like they are coming back
Highlighted

Hey @Jeplar, great to hear that you have seen a counselor and a psychiatrist. It isn't easy to deal with school and family issues and you don't have to do it alone, so well done!

What do you usually do when your emotions come back? Is this something you have talked about with your counselor/psychiatrist?
Highlighted

Hey @TOM-RO, I usually try calming myself down using either music or some form of meditation. Both my conselor and psychatrist know this and they think its a good idea to try and release some of the pressure build up.
Highlighted

Awesome stuff, I am glad you have found a way to calm yourself @Jeplar. I use mediation too, whenever I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed. Great minds think alike!
Highlighted

@Jeplar how're you going? Has the music/meditation been helpful at getting you through the rest of the week?

Smiley Happy