cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School

I've just been finding it hard to get homework done and whateer I try to kinda help me feel motivated to get it done doesn't really work so I'm pretty stuck atm.  And very awkward about asking for help which is why this is short.

(Tag for @Ben-RO as was requested)

Re: School

Hey @FootyFan26! For those listening at home, could you give us a run through of what works and what doesn't for you to get motivated to do homework? 

Also I'm keen to hear about what  doing homework achieves for you, both in the short term but also in the long term, like is there a career you want to have or a thing you want to study at uni/tafe/wherever else? 

@Ben-RO I I've tried a lot of stuff like setting times and rewards and things like that but I can't stick to it. The only time I do my homework is either when a teacher keeps me in during breaks to do it with them or when I feel like it and have found the motivation out of thin air (which is not common)

Short term it means my Mum and teachers won't be disappointed with me, I won't have lower work habits and I'll retain more information.

I don't really know what I want to be doing after year 12 (I'm in yr11) but I'd have more resources to study during exam times and my reports wouldn't all have low HW scores.

hey @FootyFan26 it's great that you've been trying heaps of strategies yourself, like setting times and rewards. Maybe those aren't ideal for you... do you think there's other tactics that might help?

For example, have you tried sitting with someone else to do the homework together, like one of your classmates?

Do you have a favourite subject? Maybe if you leave that one untl last it will give you something else to kind of look forward to?

Good job on asking for help. It can definitely be a tough thing to do, and it was so brave of you to take that step! 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Thanks @letitgo I'm on holidays atm so that's not possible but there's different people in all of my classes so it makes it a bit harder.  Most of my friends are doing different subjects from me as well.  It depends on what the HW is for the subject and doing that would pretty much mean I won't start it because it would be harder to find the motivation to do something not as interesting regardless of the reward at the end.

@FootyFan26 I also currently have holiday homeowrk and I am also currently not doing holiday homework Smiley Tongue It's summer, and I have much better things to do with my time...

However I feel like not doing my homework would be a bit of a bad start to the year, and I'm doing a few year 11 subjects this year (and a few year ten subjects - it's complicated) and would like to get a bit of a head start.

Have you tried breaking up what you have to do into smaller tasks so that it's a bit less daunting? That can sometimes work for me. Answering one question seems a lot more doable than answering ten.

@FootyFan26 it seems like all the reasons you have for doing the homework are about making other people happy. Am i on the right track here?

@Ben-RO pretty much, that's just kinda how I am. But also if they aren't happy with me then there could be consequences as well and added pressure.

@roseisnotaplant I find it difficult to start mainly and I have under two weeks now so I really have to get a move on. Doing this 1 question at a time might mean it won't get finished. Good on you for doing early start subjects though, I found that it would be too hard for me to handle so I didn't do them but it does give you a bit of a taste of what VCE (or similar) is like.

@FootyFan26 do you think maybe having a deadline (like having only 2 weeks left) might motivate you to get it done in that time? I know some people work better under time pressure, do you think you could be one of those? 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@letitgo I wish Smiley Happy.  It's frustrating because I want to do it so badly but I still don't.  Time pressure works very rarely, most of the time I'll feel bad about but still not do anything about it.  Thanks for the suggestion though.