cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: School

@FootyFan26 I'm exactly the same. I just have zero motivation when it comes to doing schoolwork and have a feeling that it's all wasted time because I'm never going to need half that stuff in real life anyway which I use as justification to not hand things in. It's all so boring and we've just been at school too long to care anymore (I'm in year 12 now) and I think I burnt out as far as the desire to achieve a long time ago. If you're like me you'll procrastinate to the last minute because you can't find the motivation to start then end up getting extremely anxious and hating myself and either cramming a year's worth of knowledge into the last hour before an important exam or doing a massive assignment due the next day at 12am while just wanting to pretend it doesn't exist and give up. As a result you end up feeling higher levels of guilt and stress and the worse feeling of knowing you didn't achieve the best you know you can do as well as sometimes being judged as lazy by your teachers, family or disappointing them or yourself. It ruins your life in short.

I haven't fully been able to figure out a way to solve the motivation issue even though I know I have to because HSC is coming up. I'm not sure if you can ever fully get that motivation back because everyone by this stage is usually just done with school but I have found there are little things that do help just push through it and get it done sometimes. They include reminding yourself how little time left there is before you don't have to be at school anymore and if your school is like mine they are extremely harsh markers with overly high standards. Part of the reason I can't get motivated is because of the sense of dread I feel knowing what I'll do won't be perfect and fearing it'll never be good enough. In these instances you need to tell yourself that school does not define who you are and is not an accurate assessment of your intelligence (mostly how well you memorised things most of the time). Trying your best is a goal of course but sometimes I think it helps to start homework or assignments without the mindset of 'this has to be an A' but just the idea of getting it done and what matters is you did it, not the grade. Learning to prioritise things also and knowing when to do something half ass because it's less important than something else means you can get it out of the way really quick. Another motivator is reminding yourself that if you're organised the more time you have to spend time doing things you enjoy with friends or by yourself. Exercise and a balance of school work and non-school work keeps you mentally healthy and more motivated and finally reminding yourself of the rewards when school is all over and you can relax and feel proud of what you achieved. 

Sorry for the very long reply and I'm not sure if what I described is relatable by you or not because your original post was so short and not sure if anything else I said helps either because you've probably heard it before but I hope it helps even a little bit. 

Hey @FootyFan26, I can relate to the feeling of really wanting to get something done but not being bothered to do it at the same time..

Do you think having a long term goal of what you want to do after high school would help with motivation? Or do you think it wouldn't really make much of a difference?

@cupcakes_032 I don't think a long term goal will really do much.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

@RedKombi I've recently learnt not to expect the work to be great which has helped but the difference between you and I is that you do the work last minute.  I panic about the work last minute and still don't do it Smiley Frustrated That's one of the things that really gets me down about it.  And yes it is relatable, thanks for taking the time to reply.

@FootyFan26 I'm just going to say what I did in yr 12 and it kind of worked for me because I didn't have many friends. Almost every lunch time in year 12 I would spend studying so I didn't have to do so much when I was home. And being at school it made it easier to get things done. And the time around exams I spent that in the library instead of at home because I always studied better at school.

I should also add on weekends or before and after school I could be found running instead of studying. Weekends especially, I used get all my books and sit in front of the TV with the netball on (not sure how much study I did). Sometimes I'd also be sitting at my desk cutting my hair instead of studying. But I ended up making little rules, that I had to do x amount of work before I could go running or something like that etc.

My school was also really relaxed (country school for you), only two of us got 90+ ATARS, but most went on to do TAFE or uni with their lower scores.

Anyway good luck with VCE Smiley Happy

@FootyFan26 i reckon you should still have a crack at thinking of a long term goal, at least i don't think it'll hurt. are you suuuuuuuurrreeee you don't want to?

Thanks @loves netball.  I'm a bit more social so I like to use my lunchtimes to hang out with people unless the teachers make me stay in to do my homework which is becoming more common atm Smiley Surprised.  I've tried making up rules for myself but because I made the rules I believe I can change them just as easily so I never abide by them! Smiley Happy

@Ben-RO What would you classify as long term?  How far are we looking ahead?

Hey @FootyFan26, any friends you could study with? That can possibly help with the fact that you have to do it

Most of them do very different subjects and they aren't really studiers either Smiley Very Happy

I missed 6 months at school because of health problems and missed a lot, had many issues with studying, especially with Maths, now it is really hard to get back on track. My parents want me to be an engineer so I have lessons with a Math tutor twice a week. Well, when I have a schedule and parents control my work, it is easier to focus and force myself to study.

How are things going now @Lisa2000?