cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Should I confess it or let it go? Please help, I am struggling so much

Hi everyone, sorry but I edited the message out as I was told by someone that it could be seen as a confession and I might get in trouble for it.

Highlighted

Re: Should I confess it or let it go? Please help, I am struggling so much

It's obvious how stressed you are over this situation @Jjwest.

No one here is a lawyer, so we can't really give you any advice regarding legalities, and ultimately what you do is up to you. As a person who has worked in retail for a bit, I would say that it was never likely for us to take action against a one time offence like this, and often wouldn't even be caught by us.
I remember a few times someone would come back to the store and let us know that we didn't put something through or that they forgot to pay for something or that their kid ran out with something, and even if it were from way earlier in the day or from a day or two before it was always appreciated and accepted that mistakes happen.
So, if you wanted to go back and pay for the juice and tell them a mistake was made, then I think that things would turn out okay.

Highlighted

Hi @Jjwest thanks for sharing your situation with us on Reach Out. You sound like a very accomplished person who has great goals for life. You are also quite self-aware and the fact that you took responsibility for your actions before says a lot about you. It sounds like you've been trying your very best to do the right things so I hope you can give yourself credit for that.

I'm sorry about what happened at Coles. You said you were too scared to say anything about the unscanned juice. I'm sorry you felt so anxious that you couldn't tell your friend about it. Do you have strategies that you can use to calm down the anxiety? Have you tried anything around mindfulness or journalling etc? On that note, are you currently seeing a therapist to get the support you need?

If it has been a week since the incident, for a logical point of view, I doubt the store is looking for something. It's up to you to decide what you want to do but I would urge you to focus on managing anxiety for now. Once you feel a bit more calm, you will have a better idea of what to do. Hopefully other community members will give their input as well. 

Highlighted

Hi @Birdeye, thank you for your comment. I guess I am a little confused over it as I am told that shops have CCTVs everywhere and therefore getting caught is really easy. I honestly do want to go back and apologise because I feel so guilty, but then that would mean I would be admitting to stealing and unfortunately I have heard about cases where people go back to return items and they get the police called on them instead. 

Hi @Mona-RO, I would like to thank you for being so kind to me. I feel like a very big screw up right now, as I had already received a second chance with my diversion and now it seems like I might have messed that up.

The strategies I have used are basically trying to find out as much information about shoplifting/theft as I can on the Internet about the likelihood of getting in trouble, but it can be a two sided sword as there are many people telling me that I can be caught, arrested and charged. I have emailed a youth legal service for advice but I am not sure if they can tell me more than I already know (that I have done someting wrong). I am seeing a therapist, but unfortunately our last session is next week. 

I do have some coping techniques (e.g. journalling, meditation) but I find that when my anxiety is really intense I find it difficult to enjoy/engage in those activities, as all of my energy is diverted to my 'research' and trying to figure out a solution instead. I know it is not the healthiest way of dealing with things but it's like I get obsessed. It gets better for a bit when I get reassurance from others but it comes back, and I know it is something I must deal with on my own as well.

Highlighted

Hey @Jjwest,

How are you going today?

was the youth legal team able to provide any clarity to your situation?