cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

So tired of feeling this way

I finally went to see a professional after my anxiety became almost unbearable to live with. I have now been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder- which isn't a shock at all, just a confirmation of something I have known for 6+ years. Does anyone else have SAD, what are some ways you have coped/gotten through the day? Everyday before I go to bed and when I wake up I cry for a good 10 minutes because I'm just SO TIRED..................... I have my dream job, but I'm not happy I spend every waking moment beating myself up and worrying what people think of me, will this ever end? Will I ever be happy with the person I am? Will I ever believe in myself/love myself? Will I ever let someone in? I'm getting therapy and will explore medication options on Tuesday. Any advice/strategies, please post- I will be forever grateful!

Re: So tired of feeling this way

Hey @shynessoverload!! Welcome to ReachOut!
I used to have SAD when I was diagnosed with depression in 2014. It was really bad then, so I definitely relate to how to you feel. I don't have it so much anymore, but I definitely still do have those days where the thought of being in a social situation is super draining. I'm happy to talk with you about how you're feeling if you want!
I think the biggest problem that I had with my SAD was finding the balance between knowing when to back away from a social situation in order to take care of yourself, and to push your limits and put yourself in social situations anyway. Because to me, too much of either way can end up being a bit detrimental. If you need a sounding board, or someone to talk to about it, I'm happy to chat! Smiley Happy

Thank you for the tips! I finally see the light now that I am going to get treatment I'd love to talk more with you on the treatment you went through 

That is such a good thing @shynessoverload! It's such a brave and insightful decision to take care of yourself and see a professional, and I'd love to hear how it goes <3

Hey @shynessoverload!! How are you going today?

HEY @basketofmonkeys, thanks for asking! I went to the doctor today, got a referral to a psych & daily medication Smiley Happy - hopefully the road to recovery will be a smooth one! 

Hey @shynessoverload, that sounds great! I think it's so admirable that you're taking steps to take care of your mental health when you realised that something wasn't feeling right, as it can take a lot of people years just to get to that point. I think you should be super proud of yourself. How are you feeling about the meds and the psyc referral?

@basketofmonkeys, thanks I feel hopeful! I just want to be happy with the person I and I think I am finally doing something about it- I couldn't live the way I was living anymore so I think professional help was definitely needed for me! Did you get professional help for your social anxiety?

@shynessoverload that's so great! I'm really excited for you! I did get professional help and I was on meds for a while too (though I had social anxiety and depression so I think it may have been a slightly different type of treatment). I found that it really helped in the end - I was one of those people that was really reluctant to start it, but as soon as I got into it I could definitely see the benefits that each type of treatment gave me. It's really uplifting once you start to see that you're challenging your old ways of thinking and are starting to evaluate things in a more positive light!

Other things that I found helped me was establishing a solid self-care plan, full of things that I would do when I was feeling crappy, just to try and help bring me around. They were stuff like reading, taking a long bath, or watching movies. I found that that also turned out to be really helpful (and your psyc may recommend that you do it too!) so that if you're feeling super drained after an appointment or you're not having the best day then it's so much easier to keep you on track. Have you tried doing something like that before?

Hi @shynessoverload, super stoked to hear you went to see a GP to get a referral and discuss medication options. Taking that first step towards getting help is HUGE so pat yourself on the back for getting it done!

A quick note - I've edited out the name and dose info of your medication as it's against our guidelines

Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here to start a topic

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 222 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors