cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Struggling

thank you @Hannah-RO much appreciated. yeah its a big one this year and a few separate parties because of covid limits on number of people so everythings abit different
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

@scared01 It sounds like you're working really hard to make this special for your sister and I'm sure she'll love what you have planned Heart

And I hope you can keep taking care of yourself too, especially because of all these big changes with your health and the pain. Often we can feel such a strong urge to push ourselves and our bodies past our limits, I'm glad you've found some things like pain relief, heat packs etc. to help even though I know that doesn't solve the pain. I hope you can extend that same effort and care towards yourself as you have been for planning that party Heart

Highlighted

thanks @TOM-RO Heart
itll be good when i can work through everything especially meal times as then itll be so much less stress as well. atm its rrally overwhelming just going to the shops and buying what i need or just being able to quickly order dinner now it takes me ages reading through everything to make sure i can have it. so frustrating and its furstrating for everyone because it takes me a long time to find what i can have
Highlighted

@scared01 I definitely understand what you mean! Our diet is such a huge part of our lives that a lot of healthy people can take for granted, but when we run into health issues it puts so much on our plate (pun intended Smiley Tongue) to try to adjust and manage. 

I'm also on a restricted diet (low FODMAPs) and it's a bit easier now, but I can really relate to that struggle of not being able to just order out and get food, and having to spend so much time planning out your meals. It's a bit easier now that I've been able to build up a collection of what I can eat and what I can't, but it's definitely a huge adjustment and takes time and effort

Highlighted

What is a FODMAP diet used for if you dont mind me asking @TOM-RO
my diet has to be no dairy, low sugar, low fat, low carb, and reduced acidic sorts of food. maybe FODMAP would be a way for me to go too.
yeah its that building up of knowing what we can have is the hard part for sure. Atm im mostly following vegan just because im finding if i search for vegan then usually theres no dairy in it and i can kinda adjsut the recipie to reduced sugar vegies or adding in meats i can have
Highlighted

Hi @scared01,

That's okay! It's not a term that a lot of people are familiar with. The low FODMAP diet is a diet that a lot of people follow to manage a medical condition called irritable bowel syndrome. However, it is only recommended you go on this diet if you have a diagnosis from your doctor and your dietitian recommends it. I wouldn't try the diet without any medical advice or a diagnosis because there are so many restrictions; each person reacts to it very differently and you can get sick from malnutrition if you don't follow it properly. 

I can hear that planning meals has been such a struggle lately and I think it's really cool that you've been able to find ways to manage and some solutions, like looking up vegan recipes; that's really smart! Maybe we could even start a vegan recipe thread sometime and have all the vegans of RO unite Smiley Happy

Highlighted

ive only heard it in passing @TOM-RO thanks for sharing. oh of course i wouldnt really start any diets esp now with so many requirments without some help. ill be seeing a dietician soon but its to hard in the holidays due to responsibilities. yeah its a little strange looking at vegan things while i had nothing against it i just didnt follow along with it but it seems to be ok for me. they sometimes say put tofu in things but instead of using that i use the meats i can use instead so its a good combination. well so i think ayway but the dietician might say different lol
Highlighted

@scared01 It's no problem! Cat Happy I'm really glad to hear that you're waiting to see a dietician, though it sucks there's a wait because of the holidays! I think the strategy you've developed (substituting the protein for meat instead of tofu) is actually a really clever one, and I hope you'll be able to get some more support from the dietician too!

Highlighted

Thank you @TOM-RO the holidays are usually super busy for me so only the really important appts are in the holidays, usually on the same day
Highlighted

@scared01  What you're going through is so tough. Smiley Sad It can be such an exhausting process going from doctor to doctor and given new diagnoses and treatments. You are so brave to be going through so many procedures whilst supporting others at the same time. Heart
I hope your sister's birthday turns out to be a fun occasion! Smiley Happy
I can relate to what you're saying about all the different allergens and other ingredients that people can't tolerate being in food and constantly having to check labels. It can be so difficult trying to find food that won't aggravate your symptoms. I've been told to restrict so many different foods by my doctors and one of my family members also can't have gluten. It's especially hard if you have more than one condition that's managed through dietary changes because some foods you might have to restrict could be ones that are supposed to help manage other conditions. I hope the dietician can help! Smiley Happy