cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Studying with schizoaffective/schizophrenia.

Last week I started studying. I'm finding it really hard to cope with even though it's only 3hrs a week. I nearly had a meltdown in class yesterday and it's left me shaking all day. In bad days my illness really gets in the way. I was so confused and muddled and then scared. I couldn't follow what the teacher doing and I got so flustered too. 

I know this happens to other people without a psychotic illness but for me it's really extreme. There's all this other noise in my mind and even though my medication is stopping my voices atm it's not stopping the negative symptoms for me. Last time I studied it wasn't this bad so I'm scared, I'm scared I'm losing my brain and intelligence. 

Also when I try to speak up in class I get all jumbled, stuttered and start confusing myself even more because I can't say what I want, like when I start talking I lose all track of what I'm trying to say. 

I wish I could fix this. I'm scared it's a part of cognitive decline you hear about in schizophrenia and that it will continue to get worse. 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: Studying with schizoaffective/schizophrenia.

I... I don't know what to say... If I had this illness, I could help better...
But what I can do is say this.
I am here for you, and I know you will get through this.
I may not be a big help, but I'm here to listen.

Hi @redhead I want to say well done on trying to study with this disorder! I know it can be incredibly difficult considering all the cognitive symptoms associated with schizoaffective disorders. I think you're doing the right thing in terms of taking it slow and not putting too much on your plate, 3 hours a week is definitely achievable Smiley Happy 

Have you spoken to a doctor or psychologist about these issues? A psychologist can help in this situation by helping you identify key issues that are interfering with your study and coming up with strategies to address those. Have you got any strategies in place at the moment? 

@Libellule I plan to speak to my psychiatrist about it, I copied what I wrote here and plan to show it to him when I see him next week.

I don't really have any strategies. I don't know how to deal with class however the teacher is really nice and supportive. I'll try to figure it out soon.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

Hey @redhead that sounds really distressing to be experiencing Smiley Sad I agree that it’s awesome that you’re working on studying despite your challenges! What are you studying? What are your goals for study/work in the future? 

I don’t have schizophrenia, however just wanted to say it could be worth asking if you can audio record your classes or take photographs of the whiteboard or projector. I was allowed to do both those things after I spoke to my uni’s disability unit and it helped me revise what had happened if I’d been too upset or overwhelmed in class to really pay attention. 

I also believe some medications can have an effect on cognitive functioning so it’s definitely a good idea to bring up with your psychiatrist Smiley Happy 

Hi @redhead! Coping with hearing voices can be hard but you're definitely not alone. Someone I knew was friends with someone with schizophrenia and one day she said to him, 'Sorry, I can't talk today because of the voices'. Your post kind of reminded me of that. It can be really difficult to concentrate when you're experiencing this stuff.

Have you heard of the Hearing Voices Network? I find their philosophy and some of the things they do helpful for people who hear voices. They have a lot of strategies and ideas to help with voices, especially if the voices are distressing or mean in nature. They might also have a group near you if you decide you want to seek support from them. SANE also has resources for those of us who hear voices.

Have you heard of Eleanor Longden? She was able to achieve so much in her life whilst living with schizophrenia. She certainly didn't get worse cognitively. Smiley Happy Here is a video of one of her inspiring talks (don't feel like you have to watch it if you don't want to though):

I had another breakdown in class yesterday.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

Hi again @redhead, I'm sorry you had another breakdown Smiley Sad It must be really hard to focus on class when you're going through this. How are you feeling now? Did you find that anything helped you when you had the breakdown?