cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW Feeling Miserable and Stuff

[Ly@Janine-RO I still feel like a horrible person. And yeah, I was in a lot of pain.

I'm not sure what telehealth is, but that would be great if you could do a bit of research for us.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Highlighted

@SomeoneNADJS that sounds really difficult...

Oh, and I didn't mean pretending to have anything. I mpre meant just being honest and if they diagnose you with something you don't have to agree with it.

I can definitely see why you're concerned though.

Why don't you want to be thought of as a DID or OSDD system?

Highlighted

[Ly@Tiny_leaf It is.

We don't want to be thought of as a DID or OSDD system because those systems are usually caused by childhood trauma (although technically that's not in the diagnostic criteria, but anyway, our system wasn't caused by this), and we're scared of how people would react to that label because of stigma, but mainly the first reason.

Highlighted

@SomeoneNADJS huh..

I knew that about DID but not about OSDD.

Stigma sucks...

I totally get that, it can make getting people to listen to you really hard...

There is a third possibility that your system won't meet the criteria for either disorder and people will just have to deal with it.

I'm wondering if part of it is having how you all are being thought of as "wrong"?

Sorry if I'm completely off here, I just know that I personally don't like referring to my autism as a disorder, because from my point of view it's just a difference that people have labeled as bad.

Highlighted

[R@Tiny_leaf Yeah, stigma does suck. The only actual criterion for OSDD-1b we would potentially miss is the "clinically significant distress" bit, but idk because that sounds quite vague.

That bothers us a lot, me especially, that people might see it as being "wrong". Calling it a disorder wouldn't help that. And to add to problem there is also one of the many banes of my existence: movies like Split that have awful portrayal of plural people.

Highlighted

@SomeoneNADJS Yeah they can be vauge.. I'd love to be able to tell you what they define as clinically significant, but that's never actually been something I've had to think about, since my distress has always been pretty significant...

It might be either knowing that you're plural or something about actually being plural upsets you?

A lot of people see me as wrong. It sucks sometimes..

My best approach is just to sorta go "Yeah. So what?".

(I'm a very proud weirdo) 

Urgh that movie is just so bad..

I remember hearing the ads for it and just sorta going "nope. Not good."

I wish it hadn't been made, it's so harmful...

It'd be kinda cool if a system somewhere managed to get themselves into a writing position for either books or movies, then they could write some actual representation. 

Highlighted

[R@Tiny_leaf I wonder how people would react to that if they found out we were plural.

I know! I originally found out about the movie while browsing Netflix early last year and I got so angry that such a movie existed. We’ve seen snippets of it, and it is very effective at making me feel worse about myself. Although one system on YouTube made an interesting video that was “Everything Wrong With Everything Wrong With Split”.

Well, I guess we’ll have to do that then. I’ve already been a published author technically for a few years, but I’ve been mainly working on games. Although one I released actually has a few systems in it (although that was more of a way to sneak it in if anyone found it rather than trying to represent plurals). In fact, one of the characters from that game can be trapped in the player’s body in one ending (and that character was based on and had her dialogue written by A.

Highlighted

@SomeoneNADJS I honestly have no idea, since I have no frame of reference there..

There is nothing wrong with you.

There is a LOT wrong with that movie. All the problems are with that freaking movie.

I like that idea, and own voices stories are definitely better with representation. (Also that's super cool! Go you!!)

Highlighted

[R@Tiny_leaf That movie is evil!

Anyway, I talked to our counsellor yesterday, and we're still not sure what to do, other than Ly's going to start their own sessions with him. They tried last night but they couldn't get on after waiting 1.5 hours until midnight.

Highlighted

@SomeoneNADJS 100% agree with you there. It profits off harming people!! 

Even that sounds like a really positive step. You've all got a lot going on, you don't need to deal with it all at once.