cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW: Having negative thoughts

@Bananatime04  It seems like the doctor was a bit careless then. I hope that your parents were supportive and something good came out of it at least.

Have your parents tried to discuss the email with you?

Hey @WheresMySquishy Smiley Happy
No my parents haven’t tried to talk to me about anything mental health related.. apart from my step dad finding a Facebook post on self harm and showing me. That was horribly triggering 😣 I did not want to see it.. he didn’t say anything while showing me tho. Idk what he was trying to say

That must have been so awful @Bananatime04. Smiley Sad I wonder what he was hoping to accomplish.
It could be worth a try to set up boundaries with what they can discuss with or show you. Sometimes, I've had to tell my parents not to do certain things or shut down conversations where they have tried to provoke or trigger me. If he does it again, you could say, 'I did not need to see that'.

@WheresMySquishy I think he was just trying to point out that I need help.. it was quite distressing to look at tho. I don’t think he would show me that for me to be ashamed of it or anything. My step dad is pretty supportive and he probably just wanted me to know that he understands and is there to help.

Highlighted

@Bananatime04that's pretty distressing, I'm sorry that happened to you. Sometimes parents can be really awkward about talking about mental health. That may have been the only way he knew how to bring it up, even though it's totally inappropriate. I know that many people's parents, including my own, weren't raised to be open about mental health problems and so they find it really hard to talk about or acknowledge when things aren't right. 

Yea that’s probably the same with my parents 😕 they treat it as something very wrong as if it’s something to be ashamed of sometimes.. idk
I just wish I could be happy and wish I could reply with ‘good’ every time someone asks me how I’m doing instead of ‘I’m fine’. I miss what it felt like to not know what it’s like being sad. I was never really sad as a kid apart from my parents divorce

Hi @Bananatime04,

That's really hard. I think maybe that when our parents were growing up,
mental health problems were really stigmatised. That's to say that their
parents probably didn't talk to them about it, and they probably feel
really out of their depth and don't want to say the wrong thing. Maybe, if
you felt comfortable, you could gently start a conversation with them? You
could even say something like 'I know you really care about me and that
it's difficult to talk about this stuff, but I've been going through a
really hard time and I need someone to talk to.'

I'm so sorry that you're feeling so sad. I promise that you will get
through this. When you're feeling really down, it's hard to think that
you'll ever not feel like this. I've been in that dark tunnel before, but
there's a light at the end of it.

Hey @Bananatime04 

I've just been catching up on this thread and I wanted to say how proud we are of you for managing your safety. It sounds like you've been given some challenges to deal with - but you're facing them and getting support when needed. That is so wonderful to see Heart 

I also wanted to assure you that this is a safe space for you to talk about your sexuality and ask questions. ReachOut is proud to be a place that people can openly express their identity. There are also lots of members of the LBGTIQA+ community here. Know that you have our support! 

How are you feeling today? Heart 

Thank you @MisoBear Smiley Happy
I would do that.. but I know they aren’t good at supporting me. Whenever they try to support me or find something new out that I’m struggling with they make me feel guilty for how I’m feeling and make things even worse. They don’t mean to but me saying that would just be me asking for more pain.

I really hope there’s a light at the end of mine 😕 I’ve never come close to seeing it.. I’ve just gotten further away over time

Thank you so much @Bre-RO Heart
Today I was feeling so good! I slept in till 10:45! That is a miracle.. I’ve been staying awake all night for nearly a week and it feels so good to sleep. I did just have a panic attack tho.. when I saw that you mentioned me I thought I broke the guidelines and was about to be gone forever Smiley Sad It’s seriously like daunting me and I don’t know why because I’m making sure my posts are fine but it’s still scary and I just can’t 😓