cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW: I'm terrified about the future

Hey @Bento that is awesome!! It’s so good to hear that you’re making some progress in counselling and I’m so glad to hear that you’re feeling a bit better today. It sounds like you’re being super proactive and are trying to get in control of your catastrophising. If you feel comfortable, let us know how counselling goes tomorrow Smiley Happy 

Counselling was productive for me I guess because I talked a good amount about some things, but tonight I felt depressed because I'm worried that 2020 will poison humanity for years to come, in the sense that people will not be able to move on and will continue whining about 2020 and let it ruin the rest of their lives; I've seen how people cling to only the bad parts of the past to an unhealthy degree and refuse to move on, and so I'm worried that in 2021 everyone will be so busy moping about their 2020 trauma that the year will go to waste because people refuse to embrace it. It makes me wonder if I should look forward to the new year at all; people over the world have said they're gonna commit suicide over the economy because they're so cynical they believe money is the only thing that matters in their lives; others have said that there is nothing to look forward to anymore except watch the world fall apart. They're convinced things will never get better, and so it'll be a self fulfilling prophecy where people's negative attitudes will only lead to negative results, as we saw this year and many years before where we've gone down a dark and depressing path that's ended up in tears. I feel like no one's looking forward to 2021 anymore, and it makes me feel like an idiot for having even the slightest bit of excitement for what the new year could bring. 2020 has made people more cynical than ever, and I don't want to live in a cynical, miserable world where everyone hates each other.

Hello @Bento, it is good to hear that you felt counselling was productive. It sounds like there are a lot of things on your mind at the moment. Those thoughts sound like they could be quite overwhelming, how are you feeling today? Are you feeling at all overwhelmed or distressed? You spoke about others feeling cynical and hopeless about next year which may lead to suicidal thoughts. Are you having any thoughts of suicide?

I'm just feeling overwhelmed that the years almost over and it'll be a new year soon, because I don't think I'm ready to move on. And honestly I don't know if I can, because I'm worried about people dragging 2020 around with them to the point where they let it ruin every other year for them for the rest of their lives. People have said 2020 has brought out the worst in everyone, and it really upsets me to see people being horrible to each other, wanting to physically and mentally harm them and break down innocent people. My sister says I should be proud that I've come so far, but honestly I don't feel like I've accomplished anything; I'm still suffering from anxiety and stress, and I still worry obsessively about what other people think; and I'm worried they think the future looks bleak and 2020 has ruined the rest of their lives, because they'll never be able to move on from it. It makes me really afraid of how much meaner and violent society's gonna be from here on out because now they have 2020 as an excuse to be angry, hateful people. I think I'm paranoid of society and that's another problem of mine.

Hello @Bento, I am sorry to hear about the concerns that you have. They sound like they can be quite overwhelming at times. I can understand your concerns about people not wanting to leave 2020 behind, but I think it might be worth mentioning there would also be some that would treat 2021 as a new, fresh start. Would you agree that would be the case for some? Smiley Happy Sounds like your sister is supportive of you, which is nice. I think it’s nice that she said that you have lots to be proud of! Do you feel that these concerns are something that you can talk to your counsellor about?

I think it’s a great first step that you can acknowledge that you may be paranoid about society and after the year we’ve had I don’t blame you! I’m just trying to move into 2021 with a positive outlook and leave everything that happened in 2020 behind. Are you doing anything to manage your stress and anxiety at the moment?

I guess I'm just not ready for the year to end, which may sound strange as you'd think I'd want it to, but I think it's just that I have a fear of change because I have come to associate change as a negative thing. I just want things to be able to stay the same because it's more comfortable that way, and I don't know what next year will bring and I feel like I have to go into things with as low expectations as possible just so I'm not disappointed. I feel like everything has to be either absolutely perfect or absolutely horrible, there is no in between which is an unhealthy thing to think about, but that's how I've been lead to feel.

Hi there @Bento 

I think that's a really valid way to feel and I think a lot of people would be able to relate to this. Change is something we naturally have trouble with as a species, it can make us feel unsafe and uncomfortable for a while until we adapt. Don't underestimate your ability to adapt to changes that might arise in the new year Cat Happy It sounds like you are very self aware about what you struggle with which puts you ahead of a lot of us. I wish you the best for the new year Heart