cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW: Idk how to deal with 'paralysed' feelings. My friends aren't real friends.

Thanks. I'm just doing a job for my mum, but I'll be back.

Re: TW: Idk how to deal with 'paralysed' feelings. My friends aren't real friends.

Are you back @Tiny_leaf?

That sounds really hard, especially if you have no way of contacting them.

If you want to tell me what you can/ can't do in terms of contacting people, maybe we could brainstorm ways to get around the obstacles there?

And I've also self harmed in the past and over a few years have collected a list of distractions and non-harmful coping methods if you're interested.

Also, I'm wondering if you have any friends you've met outside of school?

I would like to know some non harmful methods. that would be nice... Thank you.
I have met some girls outside of school, yes. but I can't see them over the Easter break, or when I need to see them. It's really hard. Especially when I feel harmful around myself. I don't know how else I can be happy, but not get hurt as bad as last time...

This isn't a complete list, so if there's anything in particular you like then let me know and I can give similar strategies.

•ripping up paper

•snapping twigs/ leaves

•destroying a cardboard box

•drawing

•listening to music

•watching a funny movie or video 

•drawing on yourself with felt tip pen

•an extension of the one above is drawing a butterfly where you'd normally self harm. The butterfly can stay there until it fades, and the idea is to not hurt the butterfly. 

•wrapping yourself tightly in a warm or weighted blanket

•anything that needs fine motor skills like braiding your hair, making something

•playing games 

I make small cards with these ideas on. If I feel like self harming I take out a card. If the idea will help me at the time I use it, if not I choose another card.

Thanks @Tiny_leaf. I like the butterfly one. I particularly like listening to music, doing art, playing my instruments, fuzzy things, video games, dancing, basketball, netball, and crafting things.

Drawing on myself with a felt tip pen is already my main strategy. But I tend to write lyrics to songs, that match my thoughts (they aren't always good). I'll try a lot of those. What are the ones you use the most?

Ripping up paper helps me a lot when I'm frustrated, especially since I end up completely absorbed in trying to shred it neatly.

The butterfly one is one that I use if my feelings are really strong, since it includes both drawing and can stop me harming if nothing else works. Occasionally I'd need to draw a few butterflies in different places.

Listening to music helps me a lot, and I have a list of different songs that help me in different moods. For me I listen to faster, more hopeful songs when I'm depressed, and slower, sadder songs when I'm anxious. 

I also like blankets. I have fluffy blankets, plus one fluffy weighted blanket that I love.

I don't write lyrics, but I do write a lot of poems.

Sorry to just jump in your conversation but I just wanted to say those are some awesome ideas @Tiny_leaf! I have never heard of the butterfly one and I might actually give it a go!

That's a good idea, doing certain types of songs for different moods. I write lyrics from depressing songs, making me wonder what I'm doing wrong, and what I did that changed me. I think I'll try the butterfly when I feel really strong emotions. Thanks @Tiny_leaf. i appreciate it a lot.

Thanks for being here for me. Smiley Happy

All good @Bananatime04. You're welcome to join if you want. I'm watching youtube atm, but I'll still be here as long as I can.