cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW: My Family Abuses Me - What Do I Do??

My family hates me and abuses me. No one believes me. I've talked to the school counsellor, but they think I just want attention.

I don't want to live any more.

Re: My Family Abuses Me - What Do I Do??

Hi @Charli_le_monke Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting here about what's going on for you. I'm really sorry to hear that your family have been abusive and that the counsellor didn't believe you. That sounds like a really tough and awful situation to be in. Smiley Sad

We're here to listen and support you as best we can.

You've mentioned that you don't want to live anymore, and I'm wondering if you're thinking about suicide?

Hi @Charli_le_monke 

Welcome to ReachOut and thanks for sharing what's going on for you - that was very brave of you. 

You mentioned not wanting to live anymore which has got me worried about you. Are you able to confirm your safety for me? If you are feeling unsafe, please contact crisis support (see a list of possible services here), and if you are in immediate danger then please call 000 (triple zero).

I'm not sure if you're aware but we have a set of community guidelines that can be found here. These guidelines are written to ensure that we maintain a safe space for all users, and they ask users to 1) confirm their safety when saying things that may lead others to think you're at risk of hurting yourself and 2) to avoid descriptions of abuse/ assault. You have not described abuse or assault, which is good, but I just thought I'd give you a heads up about this guideline as you might not be aware. For details on how to post about self-harm/suicide safely on the forums, please see here. Please also have a read of our mandatory reporting requirements, which are stated on the community guidelines (linked above). 

Now, back to what's going on for you. It can be so hard when you're left feeling unheard, or not taken seriously. I'm so sorry you have to experience that Heart. I know you've told your school counselor, but I'm wondering whether there's anyone else in your life that you'd feel comfortable telling this to?

Hi @Charli_le_monke! Welcome to the forums!

I'm so sorry about the way your family has been treating you and that no one seems to believe you. What a difficult situation to be in. Smiley Sad Even though people didn't believe you, I think you're so courageous for reaching out about it.

Are you safe right now? Are there any things that you can do to keep yourself safe, such as making a plan of some sort?

Is there anyone else whom you can tell, such as a neighbour, teacher, or helpline?

Thinking of you and hoping that things improve. Heart

I've tried telling some school teachers but they don't believe me. I don't know what to do

Hi @Charli_le_monke and thank you for getting back to us Heart

I am so sorry to hear that you have had some experiences of people not believing you, I can imagine that must be so disheartening. I want you to know that here in this community you are safe, and we believe you Heart

Do you want to tell us a little bit more about what is happening at home and whether you are feeling safe? (I would also strongly encourage you to read our mandatory reporting requirements to keep young people safe so you can make an informed decision on this one). 

Your safety is really important to us and it would really help us to support you if we know how safe you are feeling right now, both at home and from thoughts of harm. Have you been thinking about suicide? Are you able to keep yourself safe right now? 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

You have mentioned that you have spoken to the school counsellor and teachers. I am wondering if you have spoken to a service like Kids Helpline or 1800RESPECT? I find both these services are very open and supportive, and may be able to help you to explore your options to stay safe at home too Heart

Thank you for understanding and encouragement. I will try some of these methods.
Highlighted

Hi @Charli_le_monke that is great to hear you will give some of these services a go. We will check in with you again tomorrow to see how you are going Heart

You have done a brave thing reaching out here and we will be around to support you if you need to chat to someone Heart

Good Morning @Charli_le_monke 

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself and welcome you to our community Heart I also wanted to echo everyone else here and let you know how brave you are to share this with us and ask for help. 

Did you get a chance to call any of those helplines? Let me know how you went with it and if there's anything we can do to help you access the support you deserve. 

We're here for you Heart