cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Social Isolation

Thank you, but it still doesn’t calm me down much. Lately I have felt so uneasy, like nothing feels real. I really am terrified of turning suicidal, when even the reasons I have to live seem inconsequential compared to the world falling apart.

Highlighted

This is hard for me to say, but I’ve seen memes of World War 3 lately and even though it’s just joking, it’s made me paranoid as to whether it’s just a joke or real.

I hate the way society has changed me. There are two sides to me; one that is overall positive and has a sense of humor, but the other side, the one I’m dealing with right now, is paranoid and worried about everything. I don’t feel like I’m in control of my emotions; instead, I am at the mercy of the world to determine whether I am okay for the time being or miserable. And I hate it. I want to take back control of my life and wellbeing, but everyone is telling me I have no control, because so many people reinforce negative mantras and oppose optimism.

Highlighted

Hi @Bento

I can see you're pretty distressed about the fires tonight. It's an extremely scary situation at the best of the times, let alone when you are feeling down, stressed or overcome as is. 

I can also hear that you are concerned about becoming suicidal. This is super understandable, and suicide can be a really scary thought, even if you don't have an intention or plan to hurt yourself at the moment. I do want to congratulate you on deciding that you do want to seek help, and are looking at getting counselling. When it comes to the sort of darker thoughts you are talking about, prevention is definitely preferable to cure. By beginning counselling sessions, you'll be able to work through some of your concerns in a healthy way. 

For the time being, it will probably be best for you to focus on the here and now. What do you have agency over? What are day to day problems you can focus on solving? It can be easy to get caught up in catastrophing. Unfortunately, when are emotions are running high, it can be hard to think reasonably of what will actually effect us, and what won't. This doesn't mean your concerns are silly, or unreasonable, but they may be given too much weight due to your brain feeling stressed out. 

I know that you have struggled with big picture anxieties in the past. Would you be able to share what has helped you in the past? What sort of thing have you found to de-escalate your emotions, and get you focused on your own personal, immediate, circumstances

Highlighted

@Bento  I'm sorry that you've been feeling so stressed out lately. Smiley Sad I can understand your fear about getting suicidal thoughts and it can also be difficult feeling as though you're powerless and trapped. It's important to remember that thoughts are just thoughts, and you don't have to act on them. I think you're very resilient and strong in deciding to see a counselor and thinking about reasons you want to live. This shows that there is a part of you that wants to keep fighting and you are capable of resisting thoughts about ending your life. Heart

We often cannot change what others say or do, but we can try to find good coping mechanisms and ways of making ourselves feel better.

Is there anything you can do to make you feel as though you have more control? I try to do some self-care when I'm feeling like this. Making a note of the activities that you like to do might help too.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento 

How are you feeling today? Just catching up on posts and I wanted to acknowledge the big emotions and thoughts you're processing right now. 

I think you've highlighted something that many, many people are feeling right now. In particular, you've shed light on how these kinds of events bring up mixed emotions. While there is the undeniable fear and sadness, there is also huge acts of kindness and bravery from every day Australians. 

These difficult times are confronting but are also the times where we see just how resilient humans can be and how strong communities support each other Heart 

It's really good to hear that you're being proactive about how you're feeling though. Have you looked for a counsellor before? 

Highlighted

I’ve just been trying my best to make it through each day without letting them go to waste entirely; I’m still trying to draw, but lately I’ve been quite slow, so I need to get back into it. Also since the new year I’ve been meditating with the Headspace app each day for 10 minutes. I’ve been subscribed to it for about 2 years, and this year I want to use it more, taking out some time each day to look after myself.

And you know, this past week has really put into perspective for me just how much I let politics get me down. For years now I have not been able to stop obsessively worrying about the political chaos engulfing society, because it’s impossible to escape thanks to social media and internet making news immediately accessible everywhere. Sure it keeps us in the loop at all times, but that means that I end up finding out about all the upsetting things happening sooner or later, and I get bombarded with it to the point where I find myself having to worry about it and lose sleep. Not to mention that there will be people talking about it and fueling my fear with their attitudes; these days people believe that we must worry about politics to the point where it takes over our entire lives. You are not allowed to have a moment’s rest from it, it must always be on your mind and you have to let it bring you down. And many people do let it. Yes, some people have a healthy sense of humour, but humour can’t get you through everything in life, as I’ve found the hard way. As a result I find this worrying taking over my life, instead of thinking about my future. I want to take back my life, because I do not feel like I’m in control of it.

My sister says she’s considering joining a rally tomorrow, which is good to hear. I regret not being able to join protests since it would really escalate my anxiety, which I worry makes me pathetic, but at least I can support it. She also comforted me, saying that good people will win in the end; I really hope they do.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento 

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough week Heart It definitely has been a rough start to the year for many people. And although there has been lots of sadness, as @Bre-RO outlined, there has also been lots of kindness. It might help to focus on the good that people are doing rather than the negative, because as you've expressed it can be very easy to become wound up in all of the negativity, which only really does us harm. 

Can you think of three positive things that have happened in the new year? They can be big or small.

I can name a positive for you - I think it's awesome that you've started meditating. The Headspace app is really good. I quite like the Calm app too, they have some good, free mindfulness sessions. Good on you for looking after yourself Heart. It's definitely a great way to start the new year.

You're also showing great self-awareness and insight - you've noticed just how much politics is getting to you. Do you think seeking professional help for this issue is something you'd consider this year?

Highlighted

Okay, so basically I’m here because I have been really struggling emotionally for the past few weeks, and I can’t deal with it anymore. Lately I’ve been having some very violent thoughts towards people, like having an extreme loathing for toxic people who poison others with their drama and bitterness and make their problems everyone else’s. I find myself absolutely hating society because of how they force you to be exactly like everyone else if you want any chance of surviving, or else you will suffer the consequences for dating to have a unique thought. When I try to tell Mum about my worries, she is dismissive and tells me that it is normal. None of the crap I’ve been emotionally scarred by is normal! Not all the depressing news that has been shoved into my face for years, or the whiny toxic people who contribute nothing to society but make everyone miserable. I’m so sick of the cynical hive mind that’s been forced upon us, and I have every reason to believe that it will never get better.

Highlighted

Hi @Bento, thanks for sharing that with everyone here. I am sorry to hear you have been struggling for a few weeks. It must have been difficult to go through that for so long. It is such a brave thing to admit and then to reach out for some support. When you mention having violent thoughts about people, does this include thoughts about harming them? Sometimes family can find it difficult to support our point of view. It really sucks to feel as though you have been dismissed by those closest to you. What is something you can do to look after yourself throughout this? It sounds as though all of this is really stressful and concerning for you Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Hey @Bento , 

I've just been catching up here- I hear your worries and frustration with society, I think a lot of people can resonate with what you say, especially " I find myself absolutely hating society because of how they force you to be exactly like everyone else if you want any chance of surviving, or else you will suffer the consequences for dating to have a unique thought."

I know that in the past you've posted some amazing animations, and it sounds like you're a pretty talented artist yourself - I have always found the arts communities to be some of the most accepting, open minded people you can meet, and being 'weird', or unique, or having unique ideas is something that's absolutely celebrated there. I am wondering if you're involved with any online communities-I know some people use instagram to connect with other artists and share their arts, for example? 

I'm sorry that you felt so dismissed by your mum, it is really distressing to feel like what we're feeling about the world isn't being taken seriously or is being minimised. 

Sometimes when I'm feeling down about the state of the world I intentionally seek out 'good' stories, there's a thread that has a lot of great ones. Not at all wanting to minimise what you're feeling , but I know that I have found stories like this really do remind me that the world can be a strange, wonderful, and unpredictable place.  I shared a story today about water divining wombats there and there's a heap of other random things. 

Check out our community activities calendar here