cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW: Some I knew died and someone else I know has anxiety that is affecting me

yes of course @mspaceK sometimes it takes a few sessions to feel like therapy is helping or even that you eel you can open up abit more.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Re: TW: Some I knew died and someone else I know has anxiety that is affecting me

Hi @mspaceK, how are you feeling today? I hope you are feeling better. I used to get a lot of nightmares too. It is really distressing and it made it very hard to go back to sleep. They were really taking over my life and made it difficult for me to concentrate at school. I'd like to share what helped me when I had constant nightmares.

What helped me to get back to sleep after the nightmares was practicing deep breathing through my stomach. This helped prevent me from hyperventilating and calmed me down so I could go back to sleep. I did it during the daytime so that I could learn how to do it properly first.

I also wrote down what the nightmares were about. I included as much detail as possible, such as what I could smell, see and hear in the nightmare. Then I changed details about them to turn them into happier dreams, such as the ending of the nightmares. For example, something that would prevent the bad things in the nightmare from happening. With your fire dream, it could be you gaining superpowers so that you don't get harmed by the fire or smoke, for example. I would read the 'happy dreams' to myself before I went to sleep and try to imagine them. Doing this eventually reduced the nightmares. While I was doing it, I was also sometimes able to have lucid dreams. I think this technique is called rescripting. It's a bit hard for me to explain but there are lots of resources and tutorials online about it. Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy This is really interesting and helpful! I have been writing down my dreams sometimes as well as concentrating on deep breathing but I haven't tried the changing the ending for these dreams. But I do like to day dream and script my own dreams making up stories cause I like to write and imagine stuff for my books. This is why I have an active imagination. But it doesn't help when I'm pretty stressed about stuff irl. They seem to come out in my dreams. 

@scared01 @xXLexi_Lou122Xx 

I finally had my face to face counselling session. We were just getting to know each other and talked a little bit about stuff from my past but I couldn't bring myself to talk about any of the real issues facing me right now. I told my counsellor that and they said when i am ready to go there we will. I gave him the documents i had to fill out at the start where i have to circle what i have been feeling as well as my gp referral with information about what I had been dealing with. So even though I couldn't bring it up he at least knows. My next session is two weeks away ! Geezuz. Anyways i have been good mostly just every now and then i feel like something is wrong for no reason. I'm getting there. 

That's good to hear @mspaceK. I'm happy to hear that you are improving a lot!
I just wish the same could happen for me.
Highlighted

Hey @xXLexi_Lou122Xx . Thank you. I'm actually feeling pretty shit tonight. Like I feel down for what seems to be no damn reason, but I don't know. I have an early morning cause I have work tomorrow so I'll try and get a decent sleep. 

I am sorry you are not feeling like things are getting better. Would you like to talk about what is going on for you? -hugz-

Hey @mspaceK, that sounds really tough. I hope an early sleep helps with how you are feeling Heart Sometimes there isn't a reason for the way that we are feeling.. and that is okay. There doesn't always need to be a reason. How can you manage to be kind to yourself tomorrow after work or throughout the day? 

Hi @Taylor-RO . Today I have felt good. I have just been playing on my computer all afternoon/evening and listening to music and talking to peoples.

Last night was rough though, I ended up talking to KHL for an hour and I was getting really bad anxiety. I started getting chest pains and nauseus like I was going to throw up. My counselor indicated that I was perhaps getting worse cause I was talking about what was going on and that was actually increasing my anxiety. So I am not really sure where I can find the balance between having distractions and *ignoring* what is going on, to when I should talk about how I am. I really don't know. It's weird. I am not really sure what is best right now. But I'm going to try and focus on the things I am looking forward to and enjoying and stuff like that. 

Hi @mspaceK! Good on you for doing some self-care!

I'm sorry that you experienced some anxiety and physical symptoms. Smiley Sad It's good that you were able to recognise them though. I think it's normal to have some degree of anxiety when talking about or thinking about stressful events. I used to get so anxious about exams that I would get nauseous. When I talked about a bad experience I had at an internship, I used to shake recalling it. Thankfully, those symptoms have lessened over time. I hope yours can too! Sometimes, talking about the experience a lot can eventually help. Maybe your counsellors will have some suggestions about what to do.

I'm proud that you have things to look forward to and enjoyable things you can do! Keep up the good work! Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy Thanks. I will be either speaking to my KHL counselor late next week or my face to face counselor the week after. I'll see how I go between now and then. I think I need to just go over some coping strategies and probably CBT to train my brain to think positively and challenge those negative thoughts. 

Hey @mspaceK I thought I'd just butt in and tell you that that plan sounds excellent! 

exc

Keep us updated with how you go Smiley Happy