cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous

TW: Story time; my homophobic(?) science teacher

T.W. mention of homophobia and self harm

Story time! So yesterday, I was in science, and a whole heap of people were away, so it was just me, my friend, and like five other kids in this class. Anyway, my science teacher is quite politically involved, and he started going on about how "the left are bad", and the other five people were just agreeing with him. This was when my friend and I realised that we were the only leftists in the room, so that was fun. He's always talking about how "trigger warnings are stupid and a waste of time" (like dude, some of us aren't trying to have panic attacks or relapses of self harm), and that us leftists are just too sensitive. Like honestly, I'm starting to think this guy has never had issues with mental illnesses before. He is also a very cishet white man, so he has never had to deal with no being given basic human rights before. Anyway, I'm getting off track. He proceeded to say that "all arts kids are queer," as if he has a right to say that. Now, to understanding the outrage I was feeling, you have to understand his hatred of the arts community. I mean, this is the same guy who told me that he wasn't impressed when he found out that I am going to a performing arts school to pursue my dreams. He thinks that it is a complete waste of time and space, so if he is making comparisons between the arts and queer community, he obviously has something against us gays. I'm telling you now, whoever said that he was homophobic all those years back was right to do so. Also, he shouldn't even be using the word "queer". That is not a word that he can reclaim!! You know, I am going to laugh the day he finds out that I am queer and non binary. Hell, he probably thinks that being enby is a complete joke as well. Anyway, that is my massive rant for the night. Hope you are all doing better than I am.

Re: Story time; my homophobic(?) science teacher

Hey @Anonymous 

Sorry to hear you had that experience! It can be frustrating sometimes to hear that people aren't accepting of you or being respectful. Are you okay though? How are you feeling?

Hi @Anonymous 

Hope your other classes were not like that. Sounds like a really frustrating time to hear that from a teacher and have everyone agree with him. Keep strong with your views and beliefs and don't let him tear you down.

It honestly feels really irresponsible and immature for someone in his position of authority to speak like that. From my school, I always understood that teachers were NOT to share their political views so casually and influence other kids or make others uncomfortable. 

Have you tried speaking with the school counselor or maybe the faculty advisor? 

Hope everything goes well. Robot Very Happy

Hi @Anonymous, I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through that experience. That must have been so horrible and uncomfortable for you to sit through that. Like others have said, that sounds like inappropriate conduct for a teacher. Would you feel comfortable talking to someone at school about what was said? I would really hate to think of the impact that conversations like that can have, especially if it isn't an isolated incident. I also wanted to just check in to see how you are travelling? It sounds like that teacher has made personal comments to you in the past, so it must have been really hurtful to hear all of those things too Smiley Sad

Also, just to note, I have moved this post to the Tough Times section of the forum as it may be triggering for others to read.

Re: TW: Story time; my homophobic(?) science teacher

@Anonymous that sounds like a tough experience, I can empathise somewhat with this we have had teachers and students that were outright homophobic and racist and a sexist at my school too. I'm glad you're speaking out about your experience to us, I hope that so many others have said that you will talk to someone about this at your school that may be able to help isolate the situation. How are you coping? How has it been going to this class and coping with the persona comments he has made to you? Is there anything that has helped to feel a little better?

Anonymous

Thank you all for checking in on me. I'm doing alright, just really angry at him. I have science again tomorrow, so we will see how it goes down. In the past, he hasn't made comments as extreme as this one, but he has said some questionable things that you would just roll your eyes at, but this time I almost started to yell at him. I'm okay though Smiley Happy

Hey @Anonymous, I'm sorry that you are experiencing these unpleasant situations. I can understand how bad you feel, my ex and his family are people like your science teacher, and that makes me feel really bad. Honestly, his behaviour really influences student's thoughts and mental health, and he did not even think about people's feeling from other perspectives. Does your school provide any service for anonymous complaints? I'm thinking whether you can report that if his attitudes really influence your mental state and your study

Hey @Anonymous glad to hear you're doing okay. Do you feel that it may be worth discussing what happened with a teacher advisor or teacher you comfortable talking to or maybe a school counsellor as they may be able to pass on the information so that someone can talk to your teacher about the inappropriateness of his comments?

Hey @Anonymous I'm so sorry you had to experience that. As someone who just studied three arts units at university this sem, it's very disheartening to hear that he doesn't support it. You have the right to do whatever you want, and I think the arts in general just gets a lot of slack Smiley Sad 

I think other people here on ReachOut have suggested that you could talk to a school counsellor or therapist of some sorts if you need to. If you ever want more support or want to talk, ReachOut is a safe space and we'll welcome you with open arms!

Hi, I just want to check whether things are going well, and whether you feels better and whether you find a way to solve the issues caused by your science teacherSmiley Very Happy Please feel free to post if you have any tough experiences or negative emotions.