cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW desperately need help, running out of options

@Pasta in most cases it's your choice whether or not you start to take medicine.

Like they can suggest it, but I seriously doubt they'll make you take them. You've also got the choice to ask the psychologist what "powers" they have over medications.

Misdiagnoses can definitely happen, I've had a fair few but apparently my case is a weird one..

If you get a diagnosis, it can be really good to read about the condition, and especially about the experiences of people with that condition. This can really help you work out if you think the diagnosis "fits". (

I did this when I was diagnosed with autism and spent the next ages going "It's not just me who does that!!!")

If it doesn't fit, you can ask for a review or a second opinion. 

Or you can ask them for a more informal/ working theory type diagnosis, which can be enough for an effective treatment. I don't think I've ever been "officially" diagnosed with social anxiety, because by the time I got around to getting a full psychological screening, I was managing it well enough that I didn't fit the criteria.

Anyway sorry for the random rant, idk where that came from my brain just won't sit still rn..

@Tiny_leaf definitely have no need to apologize. It was very informative as I have completely no experience with the process or those sorts of doctors. Completely understand what you mean by your brain won't sit still, I can't help but think about school tomorrow, YAY 😒

@Pasta yeah it's nearly impossible to figure out how they work without being like waist-deep in the mental health system..

If you can track down a good psychologist they can be really good with explaining it though.

Oof not a fan of school at all...

Is there a lesson you enjoy or something like that which you could look forward to?

@Tiny_leaf There really isn't any classes that I look forward to, the course I'm doing doesn't give us choice of electives such art, media and stuff like that. Instead forced to do PE/PE studies, metal work and wood work. Completed just about everything in all my classes, literally less than two weeks ands it's done 😬

@Pasta I'm so sorry.. (I have a possibly irrational hatred of PE so....)

Wait what do you do once you've finished it all?

@Tiny_leaf I really don't know, movies and games probably ahah, not bad. Once I actually finish I have no idea what I'm doing, kinda scary thinking about really. Thinking about going to Tafe but I will have to get a different job, honestly don't like the one I have now but it's money I guess. Still have to get my P's which is a big yikes, everything is happening too quick aha.

Highlighted

@Pasta that sounds like a lot to think about..

One thing that I hear a lot though is that it's okay to change your mind with stuff like that. Like I've spoken to a few people who've completely changed their courses in uni/ tafe, and had it all work out well even though their first choice was "wrong".

@Tiny_leaf  Good to hear you have a creative outlet when you need it. I love that your friend is doing that! I'm a big believer in "If you don't laugh, you'll cry". Sometimes taking painful experiences and redefining them can be so empowering. There's a comic named Maria Bamford who found success by sharing her experience with OCD. I like to watch her videos when I'm feeling frustrated/alone. 

I have made many a formal complaint in my time and I agree they definitely don't make it easy. Is there anything light-hearted you do to balance things out, when writing the complaint? Heart 

@Bre-RO I'm not really sure...

Well fuck.

If my antidepressants are in fact causing hypomania, that's a pretty strong sign that I have Bipolar type 2.

If they are not causing the hypomania but it's still happening anyway, I definitely have a bipolar disorder or similar. 

And if they are not hypomania, then I have random periods of increased agitation and decreased sleep and racing thoughts for some completely unknown reason.

Whatever the case I need to set up an appointment with my psychiatrist and just hope that she knows what the fuck is going on.