cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW for disccosiation

I have such a bad headache. 

I really want to nap but my support worker should be taking me out today to get some craft materials.

I hope she shows up this time...

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf that’s not good Smiley Sad have you tried anything else to help with it yet?

Are you looking forward to getting craft materials? I hope she shows up too!
Highlighted

@Bananatime04 no I think it's just from not enough sleep.

And I am!! I'm going to make a book for the journal thingy. (Thank you again for the idea!)

Highlighted

Aw I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well @Tiny_leaf , sleep deprivation sucks Smiley Sad 

I was trying to add a picture of my feline work buddy but I'm having a few technical issues today... let's just say that this meme feels way too close to home for me at the moment! 

I hope your support worker turns up on time today. The hallucinations don't sound fun, but I'm glad it wasn't overly distressing. 

When I work from home is exactly like this .Cats on my computer ...

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO hehe I love him. His lil spotty belly!

Highlighted

I am fucking sick of seeing people whose idea of a bad day is only getting in 10 minutes of meditation give tips on managing mental illness.

Like fucking stop trying to tell me that tracking my diet and exercise routine will make me feel better that is exactly the sort of thing that will send me into a downwards spiral.

No positivity will not cure my depression you biscuits.

Just like yes share your weird wellness tips if it makes you happy but don't pretend that they're the cure to actual fricking life ruining illnesses and disabilities when they're designed for people who were just running late for work or are a bit busy.

So much of this is so patronising and irritating and honestly I'm fucking sick of people writing articles about managing depression when they've never actually had it.

Like call it wellness or some shit bit stop pretending it fixes depression there's a reason those cheesy self help books tend to make depressed people feel worse and it's because they aren't written for us even though they're targeted at us.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf  It is really quite invalidating... I find it super difficult because personally I believe there is a significant difference between depression with shall we say a natural cause and depression that (or any mental illness) exists on its own that wasn’t caused or triggered by anything. And when I say difference I don’t mean in how it feels nessecarily I think in both instances the feeling is pretty similar but I think the things that help are different. For example people who feel depressed because of a breakup or because they have lost someone or because they are in a really horrible family situation. These types of things with natural causes so to speak I feel have more easily identifiable ways to help fix or improve things than depression that is occurring for “no reason”. If the person is in a bad family situation if you can fix the environment or improve the environment the depression is likely to lift significantly but if there is nothing that is causing the feelings externally it is much harder to find things that help. 

I also think people need to be very careful with the language they are using when it comes to mental health. I often see people saying they have depression or anxiety when they don’t have or meet the diagnostic criteria for a disorder but they are more experiencing feelings that relate to those words. So when someone is feeling sad they may say they are depressed but sadness and depression are quite different. I think it is hard because with all the normalization of mental health sometimes things can get very confused and muddled with what to call what and when that happens it can be hard to find the things you need online when trying to search and so on. Mental illness does need to be talked about and stigma needs to be reduced but it also has to be a clear message particularly when it comes to people promoting things like help and support options. 

I see see a lot of people (particularly teens) saying they are bipolar because they experience mood swings or they have social anxiety because they get nervous is social situations. Now I am not saying they aren’t having a hard time but a lot of these things can be part of being a teenager. But it gets very difficult because sometimes it is to an extent that it is not a normal part of being a teen but there isn’t a lot of clarity over when that crosses the line which can leave everyone confused and is why self diagnosis is a risky thing. 

Chronic mental health issues like chronic physical health issues is often not well understood and it is exhausting having to remind people that it is chronic for a reason and that a simple meditation at lunch time is not going to fix it. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 I wish people were more careful. So many people say they are depressed and mean that they're tired or sad a bit rather than actually having depression.

What's is that when people talk about mental health issues, they're actually talking about staying mentally well when you don't have any issues.

But they still make it sound like they're talking about the mental illnesses because the two phrases have been given the same meaning despite health and illness having literally nearly opposite meanings.

The problem is for me all the wellness suggestions actually make worse because you know.. they aren't a treatment for actual mental illness.

And it bothers me so much when people say they can help with it when they only really experience stress, or do it as part of a trend rather than a genuine desire to help or share experiences in a productive way.

Highlighted

I am relating to this frustration so much! There have been times in my life when I've been really unwell and I've had well meaning family members try to help with tips of how to stay well or be more spiritually connected to get through the hard times. Through all of my anger I started to realize that the tips they were giving were better for "maintaining wellness" but not for getting out of a state of mental illness. I'm actually trying to write an article about it at the moment but find it hard to finish because I get so worked up thinking about it haha. 

What helped me was trying to use my voice and personal experience to explain to people that different things work for different people and furthermore if you are unwell sometimes you need a completely different set of strategies to get yourself to a stage where meditation or exercise could actually benefit your life. Educating others can be exhausting but I've found when people listen it can help to get that frustration out. 

Highlighted

@Bre-RO Yes write that article and spread it EVERYWHERE.

One option which has helped me is to first write an angry, rude and swear-y version of whatever I wrote to get it all out, then copy it and edit into a separate more polite version after.