cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Talking about BPD

In case you're unaware, October 1-7 was BPD Awareness Week. The theme for this year was "best practice deserved".

A lot of people in my life are still unaware that this is something I deal with. They either haven't heard of it, or else they hold some pretty crappy views about the disorder. I decided to take the opportunity to open up about it on social media, and it went a lot better than I thought it would!

I thought I'd share what I wrote, to give a bit of hope to my fellow forum members who are borderline Heart

"I’ve been debating over the last week whether to post this, but given that the campaign’s now ended I thought I should say something.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Trying to live with such complex, intense emotions - that can change so rapidly - is incredibly challenging. And unlike anxiety or depression, the stigma among mental health professionals is very real. It’s part of the reason I’m studying psychology, because the field needs people with lived experience.

Yes, I am a challenging/complex/difficult client. I self-harm. I get triggered by stupid things that most people don’t understand.

But no: I don’t do this on purpose, or to manipulate you, or to seek attention. I am just a person with a lot of feelings, which I’m not always perfect at regulating.

BPD: Best Practice Deserved."

Re: Talking about BPD

Hey @lokifish 

I just want to say how brave you are to share your story on social media. Sharing lived experience is such an important way of making people feel less alone and also educating the loved ones of people who live with BPD. We are so lucky to have someone with your understanding in this community Heart  

Thank you for sharing your story @lokifish. I think it's so brave of you to raise awareness because BPD can be so stigmatised and misunderstood. Heart

Several years ago, my psychiatrist told me that she thought it was likely that I had a personality disorder, although she couldn't diagnose me because it was against their policy to diagnose people under 18 with them despite me being not that far off from that age.
I have a lot of 'Cluster A'/odd traits, so not like BPD, but I've found that it can be both a blessing and a curse to have a personality disorder. My psychiatrist thought that my personality predisposed me to my PTSD and depression. Sometimes, it can be really hard to live with a personality disorder and they affect how people see you, which has been really hard for me to deal with.

I don't usually talk about my personality disorder because people might think of me differently. When some people think of this particular cluster, criminals come to mind or they think that these people are insane. I wish people were more aware of what I'm really like and could see past my label.
I think raising awareness can go a long way to challenging people's perceptions, so well done for doing this with BPD. Smiley Happy

Hi @lokifish and thank you so much for making this thread! I have been seeing some of the infographics circling social media for BPD awareness week and some of the powerful shared stories of advocates and people with lived experience!

I am so in awe of your courage to be open on social media to share your story, and to educate those in your communities about BPD! I particularly love this: "I am just a person with a lot of feelings, which I’m not always perfect at regulating" Heart 

Check out our community activities calendar for October 2019 here

Hi @WheresMySquishy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us too Heart I am sure so many people can relate to your experience! I completely agree with you the awareness is so important to encourage communities to look beyond labels and diagnoses, and value the unique, strong and compassionate person underneath! 

There are some incredible advocates in the BPD field doing a lot of amazing things to empower and upskill mental health workers, the health system and society as a whole! I hope this discussion in our ReachOut community will also help those coming to the forums feel they can talk here, and that this is a safe, non-judgmental space where we can use our collective voice to help the wider community understand BPD Heart

Sharing two infographics I saw this week with quotes from some of Australia's brave advocates! One from last year, and one from this year Smiley Happy

IMG_4091.JPGIMG_4092.JPG