cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teen daughter

Im new on here but seems like a last resort. A few years ago my now 16yo daughter decided she was gay. I did not take the news well. I told her I didnt like it. Didnt agree with it. I was bought up this way. She has anger problems and this goes back before this. I feel she has not wanted me as a father from well before this. She stopped calling me dad and called me by my first name. I have not been able to disagree with her on anything as she loses her temper and has even self harmed.my wife and I have always got along pretty well and now this is threatening our relationship. My wife has told me she will side with my daughter. Yesterday i got a hand written letter with very hurtfull things saying she no longer sees me as her father etc I dont know what to do.

Re: Teen daughter

Hi @Hedweb, it sounds like you're going through a really tough time at the moment, good on you for looking for some support! The issues you are describing are complex and difficult. Unfortunately, this forum is for people under the age of 25 only but jump on to our parents forum here. Also, if you’re thinking about exploring other avenues for support MensLine Australia are a free 24 hour counselling service for any issue, you can call them on 1300 78 99 78 or have a look at their website here.

- Hayley R/O

I feel like you don't need to like the fact that she's gay but maybe you should accept it. It might be hard but fathers love there children despite who there children may be. Possibly take her out for lunch or go shopping with her. Buy your wife some roses. There's so many things you can do to earn your wife's and child's respect back. I couldn't imagine the feeling if your own daughter treating you as an aqquintance, but a heart-felt apology or something to prove your repentance might earn your family's love back. I wish you the best and I'm sure your a great father.

Take care

I can see where your coming from. Me having not told anybody im bi, it is hard coming out. Which is why I haven't which might be why your daughter is so mad at you right now, because when she told ya'll that took a lot of never. As I believe that she was mad because when she did become gay and hadn't told ya'll yet, you and your wife didn't tell a different and, she was hoping ya'll would understand no matter what gender she likes, she is still ya'll daughter and she still want ya'll to love her no matter what her disions are, because ya'll are her parents, which should be the most understanding of all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to put that im bi, that im straight but, you still see my point