cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Meth struggle and it’s oneway ticket to destruction

I’ve been taking methamphetamine for a couple of years, got no one to reach out to cause my only m8s are users, the problem is that normal people don’t understand the struggle and don’t really know how to help you, nor would I ever risk telling anyone I know that isn’t a user, the very thought of that judgment in the back of their minds that your a dirty ice addict can be very destructive to what little esteem I have left, which is why I thought I’d share my struggle with this forum annonmously, as I not that kind of guy that would ever play any victim cards and seek attention or sympathy from anyone, I’ve never robbed or hurt anyone for my habit, I actually live a pretty routine life and I’m employed, I’ve been suffering in silence for a longtime and lost a lot of friends by introverting myself I don’t smoke it everyday but when the weekend comes I can’t help but look forward to getting cooked it’s got me in it’s grips pretty hard, I’ve thought about rehab but I can’t afford to just take time off work as my financial situation is hanging by a thread, every time I’ve tried having a weekend off the puff I feel joyless and uniterested in the normal things in life my personality I feel has been emptied’ like there is no way back, So my question is are there any ex addicts that %100 recovered from it? And if there are can you please share some strategies on how you did it? I would like to get off it as the despair is starting to take its hold on me

Re: The Meth struggle and it’s oneway ticket to destruction

Hi @Dannyboym8 and welcome to ReachOut!

We are really grateful that you have found us and have taken the courageous step to share your experiences with our community. You've mentioned that speaking to your friends, or people in your wider network, is not something you have done before so we really commend your step to come online seeking support and trusting us with your story Heart 

It sounds like you are thinking about taking steps towards reducing the impact of taking drugs on your wellbeing, is that correct? As someone who has worked with young people going through recovery from drug use, I want you to know that people can and do recover Smiley Happy Talking about your experiences and having this conversation is super important and a great first step- you will find this community is a really safe and supportive place when you need to chat. Would you be interested in some referrals to services/supports that won't disrupt your work commitments?

Thank you for reaching out! It's not easy to put your hand up for help, name the concerns you are having and look for a new way forward- it's not easy, it is brave! There are times where we edit out the names of drugs on the forums, but I think that it is really important for us have the open and honest conversation together Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here

Hey there @Dannyboym8 and welcome to the ReachOut Forums.
I can't really relate much, but I'm here for you if you want to talk or in need of a distraction.

I takes a lot of courage to reach out, so well done for that.

//Nothing is impossible. The word itself is says "I'm Possible"//
Highlighted

Hi @Dannyboym8! Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for taking the brave step of sharing this with us. It sounds like you're in a tough situation. Smiley Sad That particular drug can alter the neurotransmitters and neural pathways that affect your mood, so withdrawal can be accompanied by low mood and disinterest in other activities as well as other symptoms and thus, it can be really hard to kick the habit. I haven't experienced addiction myself but I have some experience in that field. I have seen people go on to have fulfilling lives after struggling with drugs, so hope is out there. I'm so proud that you want to stop smoking ice! The first steps of deciding that it is a problem and wanting to make changes are often the hardest. Well done! Smiley Happy

A GP may be able to direct you towards support services in your local area if this is something that you're interested in exploring. These don't necessarily have to include rehab. They could assist you in slowly replacing your weekend use with healthier activities, for example. ADIS also has a 24 hour support line which can provide you with a similar kind of confidential support and point you towards services in your area if you can't or don't want to see a GP. There is also a service called Counselling Online which can provide free drug and alcohol counselling. That could be an option if you don't feel like talking to someone about it in real life. You can choose to stay anonymous if you end up using it.

What do you think of these options?